The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > REGIONAL FORUMS > United States of America > Great Plains > Texas
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
go2fast (61), SixMilesFromHell (56), thespis (56), julian (52), chopperdave (50), shawn4057 (42), KC_Sporty_Gal (40), david04883 (32)
Fix My Hog
Zippers Performance
Figure Machine
Motor Stage

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
jguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nice
Default Best place for tires on the SW side of Houston?

I cannot believe how different getting tires changed for a bike is compared to a car. I live, basically, in Missouri City and ride a stock 07 1200 Custom. I'm the 2nd owner and the bike has 4900 miles on it. Neither factory tire is worn out, but they are about 5 years old and the front tire is showing a few small cracks in the sidewall. I have pretty much decided that the Kenda Kruz is the best bang for the buck considering where/how I ride.

A Honda shop not too far from me is listed as a Kenda dealer, so I drop in to get a rough price yesterday. They shoot me a fair price but won't work on Harleys because they also own two Harley dealerships (their Harley shops won't work on 'sport bikes' either). If I remove the rims and bring them in it's $23 each to mount and balance. One has to wonder if they work on the used Harleys they sell there.

For grins I stop by my local Harley dealership. They are running a special, if I purchase the OEM Dunlop tires I can be out the door for $335 (about $30 more than the Honda place but they do all the work) if I make an appointment. If I purchase a non OEM tire from the parts department, they will still do the work but charge me for 2.5 hours labor at $95 per hour. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!? At that labor cost I could buy all the tools to change them myself. On the other hand we did get a couple free bags of popcorn for walking in the door.

I've never taken the wheels off a bike, I'm sure I can do it ... but I don't have to do that when I get tires on either of my cars. Also I don't have a jack for the bike and money is a little tight. So can anyone in the Houston area direct me to a dealer or independent in the Houston area that can manage to put new tires on my bike without making me feel violated?
Old 22nd January 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

I don't live in Texas but a google search came up with these.
I hope they help

http://www.tejasmotorsports.com/

http://local.yahoo.com/info-19150615...tires-pasadena

http://www.motorcycles-unlimited.com/

http://www.globalcycles.com/

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 22nd January 2012
Flat Track Champion

jguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nice

I appreciate the effort Khaskins. All those places are quite a ways from me (North side and East side of Houston basically).

Kind of interesting how Discount Motorcycles in Pasadena has great reviews from 2008 and crappy reviews from 2011. I think I'll avoid that place.
Old 22nd January 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 09
Other Motorcycle Model: HD ULTRA CLASSIC
Other Motorcycle Year: 08
SGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of lightSGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of lightSGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of lightSGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of lightSGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of lightSGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of lightSGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of lightSGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of lightSGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of lightSGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of lightSGT.NICK FURY is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguynn View Post
I appreciate the effort Khaskins. All those places are quite a ways from me (North side and East side of Houston basically).

Kind of interesting how Discount Motorcycles in Pasadena has great reviews from 2008 and crappy reviews from 2011. I think I'll avoid that place.
yea guynn ive heard of that place as well. i have a buddy who lives in clear lake area and takes his there . he has had good things to say about that place ....might be worth the trip. im on the north side of houston ....so i havent gone there, so personally i dont know from experience ...just hear say...
Old 22nd January 2012
Flat Track Champion

Might be worth a call then at least. I grew up in Pasadena and still have some family there.
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd January 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Hondas, Yamahas, Suzuki
Other Motorcycle Year: 71
stump is a jewel in the roughstump is a jewel in the roughstump is a jewel in the roughstump is a jewel in the roughstump is a jewel in the roughstump is a jewel in the roughstump is a jewel in the roughstump is a jewel in the roughstump is a jewel in the roughstump is a jewel in the roughstump is a jewel in the rough

You may want to try Iron Mike in Bacliff.

I've had good luck with him on things I don't have the tools or time for.

YMMV

Stump

Just call me Stump
Old 23rd January 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Bitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of light

Harbor Freight Jack - $59
3 tire irons - $40
Bead breaker - $50
Dynabeads - $10
Tires - your choice
Knowing you'll save even less next time - Priceless

Seriously though...think about doing it yourself. It's not all that bad. If nothing else, invest in a jack so you can pull the wheels and let someone else do the mounting and balancing. The jack will come in handy for many other tasks.

Quote:
I cannot believe how different getting tires changed for a bike is compared to a car. I live, basically, in Missouri City and ride a stock 07 1200 Custom. I'm the 2nd owner and the bike has 4900 miles on it. Neither factory tire is worn out, but they are about 5 years old and the front tire is showing a few small cracks in the sidewall. I have pretty much decided that the Kenda Kruz is the best bang for the buck considering where/how I ride.

A Honda shop not too far from me is listed as a Kenda dealer, so I drop in to get a rough price yesterday. They shoot me a fair price but won't work on Harleys because they also own two Harley dealerships (their Harley shops won't work on 'sport bikes' either). If I remove the rims and bring them in it's $23 each to mount and balance. One has to wonder if they work on the used Harleys they sell there.

For grins I stop by my local Harley dealership. They are running a special, if I purchase the OEM Dunlop tires I can be out the door for $335 (about $30 more than the Honda place but they do all the work) if I make an appointment. If I purchase a non OEM tire from the parts department, they will still do the work but charge me for 2.5 hours labor at $95 per hour. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!? At that labor cost I could buy all the tools to change them myself. On the other hand we did get a couple free bags of popcorn for walking in the door.

I've never taken the wheels off a bike, I'm sure I can do it ... but I don't have to do that when I get tires on either of my cars. Also I don't have a jack for the bike and money is a little tight. So can anyone in the Houston area direct me to a dealer or independent in the Houston area that can manage to put new tires on my bike without making me feel violated?
Old 23rd January 2012
Flat Track Champion

Bitspitter,

I'm just about to talk myself into trying it myself. I do need a jack regardless.
Old 23rd January 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Bitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of lightBitspitter is a glorious beacon of light

Good for you. Check on YouTube. There are a few videos out there that are great learning tools. Here's the one that convinced me.

And you don't need those fancy rim protectors that he uses. I used the cut out sides from a Tropicana plastic juice jug. Worked great!

Quote:
Bitspitter,

I'm just about to talk myself into trying it myself. I do need a jack regardless.