The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Mr.P (50), G-man1965, Dietoride (45), mct496 (43), JuggaloCujo (31)
Lowbrow Customs
S&S Cycle
Superbrace
Lowbrow Customs

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1980 IH Sportster XLH
Macky1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Highway Bar

Who out ther has highway pegs? wanting to know how it looks and where they mount. pics are greatly appreciated! I saw the vtwin kit but wonder why you need those mount plates? stock front motor mount plates have holes for mounting or wont those work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Highway-Foot...ht_1033wt_1163
Old 21st February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
nativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nicenativebroncofan is just really nice

I do but they are custom. I used the frame to mount them. Here is the best shot that I have of them.
nativebroncofan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-harley4.jpg (114.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 21st February 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
hogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura abouthogmania has a spectacular aura about

yes the stock harley hyway pegs mount to the lower front motor mounts in those holes, they should have a big washer welded to them that has a square center hole so the pegs will be held in correct without spinning around.
Old 21st February 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 79
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha TX500
Other Motorcycle Year: 74
gungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura aboutgungatim has a spectacular aura about

I have stock HD on my '79, I think they look good and are very comfortable, I don't have fwd controls so have to constantly switch back to the mid position when riding through town, but I think they are a great add-on. Mine look similar to those on your listing and bolt to the front motor mounts but the bars are offset bent to clear frame and oil filter, not straight like in your pic. You can see them in the attached pic.

Old 21st February 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLSa
Sportster/Buell Year: 82
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHTC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1987
Monkeywrencher is on a distinguished roadMonkeywrencher is on a distinguished roadMonkeywrencher is on a distinguished roadMonkeywrencher is on a distinguished roadMonkeywrencher is on a distinguished road

I have the stock HD ones on my 82 mounted almost like gungatim's pic. I use them when I can as they are comfortable. In traffic you have to revert back to mids in order to keep an eye on the yahoos for a panic stop. I also use my heal at times to downshift or hit the brake when using them. Its the best of both worlds. Forward footpegs without the cost or worry of some cheapo forward controls, as there really isnt any good set of bolt on forward controls for Ironheads.
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st February 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 80XS650/71CL175/7?gs550
Vermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of light

I had highway pegs, but I rarely used them, I just didn't like the lack of control of the bike I felt when using them. I much prefer being able to hug the tank with my knees. That being said I ride fast and hard no matter where I am, its just how I like to ride.
Old 21st February 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 80XS650/71CL175/7?gs550
Vermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of lightVermonter is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry, I realized I didn't answer your question. I had the ones that use a replacement front motor mount plate. I also found them to look undesirable.