The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
Lickscycles
Energy One Clutches
883 Sportster
Lowbrow Customs

Figure Machine
Tags
1250, 883, conversion, rubbermount_evo

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Hammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico 05R View Post
We can program a custom curve into the module that will make it perform much better now. Then when you do your 1250, we'll reprogram the module with a different map suited for the higher compression Big Bore conversion.
So I can just ship it off to you and you'll tune it up for me? What do you do to make it perform even better?
Old 23rd January 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
PiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammastix View Post
So I can just ship it off to you and you'll tune it up for me? What do you do to make it perform even better?
I think he means he'll send you a computer file which you will load into the ignition using the usb pc interface cable (generally sold seperately). I just ordered a factory refurbished tc88a on ebay for $140 shipped (kinda rolling the dice, but it includes 1 year warranty). I was going to come on here and let you know, until I saw that I was ordering the last one. Keep your eyes on ebay, I see them put up the factory refurbished units from time to time. Unless you want new, obviously.
Old 23rd January 2012
Biker

Hammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura aboutHammastix has a spectacular aura about

See that makes better sense haha, and it's easier for when I do the 1250, just plug and play.
Yea I'll definitely be checking ebay then, 140 sounds pretty good for a factory refurb, but I'll see how I feel about buying new when the time comes. Because 250 plus another 100 for the usb and software is pretty spendy but you gotta pay to play I guess
Old 23rd January 2012
Jester Syndicate

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It wouldn't be the first module I've programmed for someone. To make it perform better, I put a genuine Rico map in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
I think he means he'll send you a computer file which you will load into the ignition using the usb pc interface cable (generally sold seperately). I just ordered a factory refurbished tc88a on ebay for $140 shipped (kinda rolling the dice, but it includes 1 year warranty). I was going to come on here and let you know, until I saw that I was ordering the last one. Keep your eyes on ebay, I see them put up the factory refurbished units from time to time. Unless you want new, obviously.
Having the cable is the preferred method. Every bike is a little different in what it likes as far as an ignition curve goes. On Stage 1 bikes, one size fits most, but when you get into mapping for 1250's and such...it's pretty much a bike to bike exercise.
Old 23rd January 2012
Biker

So how exactly does it know, it it like a scan cable type thing and it stores info that you upload to your computer to fine tune it?
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd January 2012
Jester Syndicate

Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

It does store performance data so you can see what your bike is doing. As far as the map goes...you just program a curve on to the module using a .tbl file. The file is loaded from the computer via the cable on to the module. The map controls spark advance at different rpm's and Manifold Air Pressure points.
Old 24th January 2012
Biker

So it's a relatively user friendly program? Or do I create the map? Sorry im not to tuner savy
Old 24th January 2012
Jester Syndicate

Quote:
So it's a relatively user friendly program? Or do I create the map? Sorry im not to tuner savy
You can always create a new map, the software is really pretty friendly. However, I already have an extensive library of maps. I have mapping suitable for everything from Stage 1 bikes all the way up to 1250's and 88 and 90 inch conversions.

It's a long read, but everything you want to know about the TC88A and it's use in Rubbermount Sportsters can be found here: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=18702

That thread covers everything from Ron's (turbota) initial work with the module and software through all the subsequent R&D work that I and others have done.
Old 24th January 2012
Biker

Yea I'd probably come to you for mapping haha. But who knows I may get bold and try something myself. Any input on pipes? I like the looks of the longer pipes i.e thunderheader 2-1, anything that performs good for a nice price?
Old 24th January 2012
Jester Syndicate

My recommendation is a 2-1. D&D Bobcat , the Thunderheader is a good choice or an RB Racing LSR 2-1. If you like duals, the V&H Sideshots are pretty decent.
Know Thy Hog