The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Bison Motorsports
Motor Stage
Fix My Hog
Foxcreek Leather

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
65pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Undecided (which sportster to purchase 883 vs 1200)

OK here we go, been mulling over which sportster to purchase 883 vs 1200...been off the road for twenty or so years and want to get back into bikes. Would be using for both city/highway use, prefer mid controls (short inseam). Of the dealerships visited, sales folks have been very patient in sharing info, basically the feedback has been split, want to make a decision/purchase of a (preferbaly new) Sportster within the next week or so, any help is greatly appreciated! Did take MSF course and really felt comfortable up on two wheels again, but dont want to over-reach on first ride. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Folkie; 24th January 2012 at 18:42..
Old 24th January 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

The current 883s are great. Lots of fun, minimalist, quick enough etc.

HOWEVER, the 1200s have that and a bit more, plus have longer legs on the highway.

Sure you CAN run the 883s on the highway no problem, but the 1200s are less hurried.

So having owned both, I'd suggest the 1200 for that reason.

As for particular model, many of the current models are just too damn low for my tastes (for cornering) BUT that said you are asking for a low seat height.

If I were you I'd take a serious look at the 1200N and the 1200C.

But I doubt you'll go wrong with any choice.

And these things can be almost infinitely changed to suit your tastes and needs.

Have fun and RIDE SAFE,

Kev

PS - welcome to the board!
Old 24th January 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
883_dave has a spectacular aura about883_dave has a spectacular aura about883_dave has a spectacular aura about883_dave has a spectacular aura about883_dave has a spectacular aura about883_dave has a spectacular aura about883_dave has a spectacular aura about883_dave has a spectacular aura about883_dave has a spectacular aura about883_dave has a spectacular aura about883_dave has a spectacular aura about

I have an 883 purchased new in 2009. If you can afford it, I would recommend getting the 1200. The 883 is fun and has plenty of power for a daily driver, but there are many times (highway, strong winds, 2-up) I wish I had the added power of the 1200. I plan to do the 1200 conversion at some point, but I wish I had just purchased the 1200 to begin with.
Old 24th January 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
coldfuzion76 is a jewel in the roughcoldfuzion76 is a jewel in the roughcoldfuzion76 is a jewel in the roughcoldfuzion76 is a jewel in the roughcoldfuzion76 is a jewel in the roughcoldfuzion76 is a jewel in the roughcoldfuzion76 is a jewel in the roughcoldfuzion76 is a jewel in the roughcoldfuzion76 is a jewel in the roughcoldfuzion76 is a jewel in the roughcoldfuzion76 is a jewel in the rough

You're gonna get a lot of varied opinions on this. When I test rode my bike, an 883, I also rode a new 48. I loved them both, and wound up going with the 883 for the much lower cost. For me, it just wasn't worth the extra money for the 1200, especially knowing that I can upgrade at any time in the future for much less than it would have cost me to buy the 1200 outright. It's my second bike, but I stepped up from an old Honda CM400, so I still feel like I have PLENTY of power. It's really just a personal thing, but I personally don't regret the decision at all.
Old 24th January 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Tim m154 is just really niceTim m154 is just really niceTim m154 is just really niceTim m154 is just really niceTim m154 is just really niceTim m154 is just really niceTim m154 is just really niceTim m154 is just really niceTim m154 is just really niceTim m154 is just really niceTim m154 is just really nice

I bought a 1200 three years ago after looking at an 883, decided to go for the 12 after seeing so many 883s with 1200 conversions, why bother when you can get a 1200 in the first place, stealer said if i bought the 883 he would see me in six months for a upgrade, mine was my first bike for over thirty years and love every minute when weather allows, unfortunatly not that often in UK. as has been said before ride safe.
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th January 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

The 883 irons IMO are one of the best sportsters ever to roll out of HD. Plus it is so easy to convert them into a 1250 for minimal cost.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 24th January 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Standard
blkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to all

Welcome to the forum from Northern California.

I bought my 883 in 2007, thinking that I could always make it bigger if needed. So far, it has been plenty of bike and runs so great, that I won't think about turning it into a 1200 until it needs some serious engine work!
Old 24th January 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
dashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant future

If the only reason you are thinking of mid controls is a short inseam then sit on, or preferably ride, bikes with both mid and forward controls. My inseam is short too, 29-30 inches, but forward controls are no problem for me.
Old 24th January 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
gchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nice

I'd say go with the 1200. I purchased my first bike EVER this past summer, and went with a 1200 that I got a great deal on. I had been considering an 883, where it is my first bike. Was a little worried the 1200 would be too much bike for a beginner, but I'm very very happy with it, and have no problems with the extra power.
Old 24th January 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N Nightster
Alby22 is just really niceAlby22 is just really niceAlby22 is just really niceAlby22 is just really niceAlby22 is just really niceAlby22 is just really niceAlby22 is just really niceAlby22 is just really niceAlby22 is just really niceAlby22 is just really niceAlby22 is just really nice

If the money difference is not a problem, 1200 is the way to go. I have a XL1200N. Great bike, easy to ride, plenty of power, and looks great!

Last edited by Alby22; 24th January 2012 at 18:31.. Reason: typo
Know Thy Hog