The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Get Lowered
Lowbrow Customs
Superbrace

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of
Question Winter Project - more questions

1. Testing the VOES

Is this correct? - with VOES disconnected and on the bench there should be no continuity between the two wires [to ground and from ign module]; with vacuum applied there should be continuity.

2. Lube'ing Cables

I clean the cables with brake&parts cleaner. Then i have always used a light oil for the throttle and clutch cables and a light grease for the speedo and tach cables. I do not recall why i have done them this way other than that they are different internally. There are more options now such as graphite spray and silicone spray. So what do you do?

3. Does the speedo drive gear ever need new grease or other lube? It cannot be dismantled but i suppose some grease could be injected with the cable removed [although i no longer have a grease gun]. What do you do with this?

4. How often to change the fork oil and brake fluid? Every year? Every other year? After so many miles?

Last edited by IronMick; 28th January 2012 at 15:17..
Old 28th January 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Smerch is a jewel in the roughSmerch is a jewel in the roughSmerch is a jewel in the roughSmerch is a jewel in the roughSmerch is a jewel in the roughSmerch is a jewel in the roughSmerch is a jewel in the roughSmerch is a jewel in the roughSmerch is a jewel in the roughSmerch is a jewel in the roughSmerch is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
1. Testing the VOES

Is this correct? - with VOES disconnected and on the bench there should be no continuity between the two wires [to ground and from ign module]; with vacuum applied there should be continuity.
That is correct. The ignition won't go to advance mode until it sees continuity caused by manifold vacuum (switch closed). If a wire gets cut or the vacuum line pops off the switch fails to safe, i.e. open/no continuity and the ignition stays in "retarded" mode.
Old 28th January 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

#1 one way or the other, if it doesn't change the switch is bad....

#2 I don't "clean" the cables, I just dribble some Tri-Flow or Marvel oil down them.

#3 Don't need no stenkin speedo

#4 Fork oil = 5000 miles Brake fluid = no spec given, I would change when it becomes discolored
Old 28th January 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of light

hmmm!!! the original speedo drive had a zerk on the bottom. yes a little lube helps as eventually the drive and worm will wear and the drive will try to climb the worn, lockup and bend the drive tang. two options, install a zerk or go to the drug store and buy a hyperdermic needle with a fair size hole and a seringe, make sure they are the twist lock design. then fill the seringe with grease and inject through drive tang plate seal. i use this method on sealed and shielded bearings. a good product is desco 220 made by chemola in beaumont,tx. for the speedo chain and if mixed 1/2 with grease, can be used in bearings. this product will go from flame bucket launch to the cold of space, burn it to nothing and it still lubes. this stuff is so slick, if put into a bearing, the ball will pass through it and not carry it around, so the need for grease. got a boat, mix with grease for trailer wheels and never worry about water. however, not recommended for tight tolerance bearings as this stuff plates itself to it.

dot 5 silicone fluid does not absorb water and really has an extremely long life unlike dot 3 which is glycol based and will absorb water and cause corrosion. the darker the fluid, the more water in it, swap every three years or if it becomes dark.
Old 29th January 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Thanx for the tips.

Yes, the VOES is toast. I picked off the silicon cap and tested while adjusting the screw one full turn, 1/8th turn at a time, each way. No joy.

I wonder how long it has been like that as i have not been getting any noticeable pinging, and i had installed that VOES as it was needed to get rid of the pinging - or so i thought anyway.

However in my spare parts i have an old VOES that tests good so i'll put that one on. I took this one off my 1980 a few years ago as it was not working. I did later get it working by resetting the screw.
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th January 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough2007Low is a jewel in the rough

Yep, always good to have spare parts around.
Old 29th January 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
I wonder how long it has been like that as i have not been getting any noticeable pinging, and i had installed that VOES as it was needed to get rid of the pinging - or so i thought anyway..
The VOES will default to the less advanced setting if it goes bad. So, you've been riding without full advance when the VOES would have allowed it. Your performance would have been marginally less with the bad switch, probably not noticeable under normal riding.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 29th January 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of lightbustert is a glorious beacon of light

the beauty of the ultima ignition is that voes or not, the advance will be the same, just altered to be slower on ramp without voes and quicker on ramp with voes, unlike the hd module.