The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA Motors  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Durockrolly (56), xlch1973 (52), ehenry (50), 100thHugger (49), evobrian (47), jethrosurfs (42), Chris B. (38), Ebmomma (38)
Lowbrow Customs
Superbrace
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered

Dead Creek Cycles
Tags
2006, buell, ribbermount

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
freeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to behold

Howdy,
Another thought. What about the Cyclone M2 header? Does it have the same problem?

Thank you,

Ken Reed
/-----\ http://www.parmarng.org ..................... If life throws you a curve, lean into it and apply throttle.
|*------/\ ...............Wouldn't be an economic crisis if you had bought AMERICAN.
|--------| ...............Spent most of my money on cars, motorcycles, guns and girls, the rest I just wasted.
+--------+ ...............Silence is taken as consent. Do you consent?

Old 5th February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: M2
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWG - FLTR
Other Motorcycle Year: 99
Iman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really nice

Yep, M2 header on a sportster will have the same issues, I am pretty sure it is the exact same header as the other buells.
Old 5th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

freeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to beholdfreeidaho is a splendid one to behold

Iman,
Could be. They are different in that the front cylinder pipe crosses over the rear, but they may end up in the same place where the interference with the frame exists.

I called up "Buell Header" on ebay for comparitive pictures.

Thank you,

Ken Reed
Old 5th February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: M2
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWG - FLTR
Other Motorcycle Year: 99
Iman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really niceIman01 is just really nice

The later years of the tube frame bikes they routed the header that way on all the bikes. It allowed them to get the rear pipe away from the riders knee.

So you might get differing results with different years, but the model shouldn't matter.
Old 5th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Iman,
Thanks, good to know. If I can get one cheap, I may try to adjust its fit, and figure out now to mount it. I can TIG up any adjustments in the stainless tubing.

I need to jig up a mock-muffler and see how the ground clearance works out before doing anything.

Thank you,

Ken Reed
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th February 2012
JESTER MAFIA

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Or just spring for the D&D Bobcat. One of the two best investments I made on my sled.
Old 5th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Rico,
If I could buy the header part of the D&D I would be in hog heaven, or make one. I'm just not crazy about the muffler, and it would not work with my occasional use of quick detach bags.

And if one has the capability, exhausts should be made, not bought.... but that is just me.

Thank you,

Ken Reed
PS: what was the other best investment?

Last edited by freeidaho; 5th February 2012 at 06:06..
Old 5th February 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru View Post
Lol------------are you saying i am long winded, Ralph?
oh, i don't know about that. but that is certainly one way 'to make a long story short'

personally, i prefer your version of short, steve.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current