The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Energy One Clutches
Ironworks Magazine
Lickscycles
Lickscycles

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Fackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura about
Default Arthritis getting the best of me.

My arthritis is getting worse. So I have put my beloved 2000 XL1200 Sportster up for sale. Screaming Eagle air box, QD windshield, luggage rack, padded HD back rest, HD deluxe touring seat, highway pegs, V&H straighshots with the baffles, Kuriakyn, spelling?? extensions and mini-floorboards for the wife's short legs, saddle bags and the HD service manual and parts manual. I'll throw in helmets, chaps, too. 22,000 miles, lived indoors all her life. NEVER been dropped. Looks and drives like she is 5 years old 4,000 firm. If y'all know any send me a message and I'll answer with more contact info.

Reb
2000 Xl1200 V&H straightshots, SE aircleaner, highway pegs, deluxe seat, sissy bar, luggage racks, saddle bags, and QD windshield. Made to be comfortable while I haul ass. Black and chrome. Man is she pretty.

Back Home in Alabama - How sweet it is!
Old 8th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L->1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
dwagar is a jewel in the roughdwagar is a jewel in the roughdwagar is a jewel in the roughdwagar is a jewel in the roughdwagar is a jewel in the roughdwagar is a jewel in the roughdwagar is a jewel in the roughdwagar is a jewel in the roughdwagar is a jewel in the roughdwagar is a jewel in the roughdwagar is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to hear that, my wife has arthritis, it can be quite debilitating. Have you tried the biologics (eg Enbrel)?

Great deal on the bike, I'm sure it'll go to a good home.
Old 8th February 2012
Non-ancraophobic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Darn....sorry to hear that...you need a dry climate

Have you ever seen this or heard about this product,I know some people that swear by it

http://www.sierrasil.com/
Old 8th February 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 Harley Nightrain
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Old rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of lightOld rider is a glorious beacon of light

My arthritis prevented me from riding for a couple years, I couldn't get my leg over the seat of my Goldwing and it was almost impossible to lift my right leg off the foot peg at stops. I bought my Sportster with the forward controls and that helped a great deal, reducing the angle of my hip joints and allowing me to just slide my foot back off the pegs at stops instead of lifting it up.

More importantly I started taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin pills every day. I went to a Arthritis seminar and met a guy there who got great results from them. The doctor putting on the seminar mentioned that about half of his patients get some improvement and they are cheap so he urges everyone to try it, no harm can come of it.

I have been taking it for about 6 months now. I have a lot less pain than I had before and I can walk up stairs with both legs about 90% of the time. Before I started taking the Glucosamine & Chondroitin I almost always had to use just my left leg to go up stairs. I don't take anything for pain, I am trying to not ruin my stomach. I would have to say I have seen a pretty good improvement in the last 6 months in my ability to do things. I could probably ride my Goldwing again.

If you haven't yet tried Glucosamine & Chondroitin I would urge you to do so, give it a couple of months and keep the bike if you improve. I have it in both hips and both shoulders. I still have pain but at least I can comb my hair. I used to have days that I couldn't get my hands up that high the pain was so intense.

I wish you the best of luck. Never give up looking for relief. I get mine at Sam's club, you might find them cheaper somewhere else, I have never shopped for them.

Oh and I see that I am almost 3 weeks older than you.
Old 8th February 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Rogster is a glorious beacon of lightRogster is a glorious beacon of lightRogster is a glorious beacon of lightRogster is a glorious beacon of lightRogster is a glorious beacon of lightRogster is a glorious beacon of lightRogster is a glorious beacon of lightRogster is a glorious beacon of lightRogster is a glorious beacon of lightRogster is a glorious beacon of lightRogster is a glorious beacon of light

Trike it!!!!
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th February 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Start rant:

My hands are worn out!

What I do to try and maintain:

Injections as often as the doctor will do them
Glucosamine & Chondroitin pills
Paraffin hot wax therapy
TENS stimulator
Voltaren gel
Try and keep my hands warm by wearing gloves when ever I can
Soft grips
Gene Mod (pre 2004 top tree on 2004+ Sporty) with rubber bushings (not the plastic ones)
Vibrators
Cry myself to sleep, wake up in pain, cry, go back to sleep.
Selling my scoot isn't an option.

Do you remember on Son's of Anarchy Clay's hand problem?
That's my life.
At least 5 years to go before I can retire BECAUSE OF THE COST OF HEALTH CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is the USA healthcare systems so broken??????????????????

Rant over:

I have other joints (most of them) than have problems but my hands are truly worn out.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.

Last edited by Bob F; 8th February 2012 at 22:12..
Old 8th February 2012

Fackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura aboutFackler Rebel has a spectacular aura about

I've been to all kinds of doctors guys, mine is a degenerative one. I need to sell her so any help is appreciated. She is a deal at 4. Chaps, helmets, all the HD manuals.

Reb
Old 8th February 2012

Because our government has failed us. It won't be fixed at the ballot box. How much money did we give Pakistan last year and what is this year's budget?

Reb
Old 8th February 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Will a moderator move this to "riding with disabilities"?

Quote:
I've been to all kinds of doctors guys, mine is a degenerative one
rheumatoid arthritis?
osteo arthritis?
gouty arthritis?
pseudo gout arthritis?

Do they Know?
Are they willing to guess?
Old 8th February 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

I subscribed to this thread.

Any insight will be appreciated.

HELP CECIL HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Know Thy Hog