The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Biltwell
S&S Cycle
Ironworks Magazine
CV Performance

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp84Alum View Post
Cymbalta? That's an anti-depressant. That won't help your arthritis.
Arthritis is depressing.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 29th February 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1350 S+S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: Screaming Eagle Ultra
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
ol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of lightol38y is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Reb,

As others have said, get a good rheumatologist. My arthritis came on suddenly and acutely about seven years ago. It affects my neck, back, hips and feet. It took a lot of x-rays, mri's and various chemical attempts to alleviate the pain. I was gobbling up vicodins like they were altoids. Various less expensive treatments didn't work and the insurance company finally approved Enbrel. Enbrel and Humera are biologics that work in the body to suppress your immune system. They are not drugs, but they are very expensive. These drug manufacturers do have payment assisstance programs if your insurance does provide coverage. They also have copay assist programs.

Dont give up on your treatment because it will only become more debilitating. I can say that two months after getting on Enbrel, I was able to go on a long range fishing trip and land a 150# yellowfin tuna. This is in comparison to hobbling with a cane when I got around at all.
Reb, this is very good advice. I've been on Enbrel for 3 years. Without it I couldn't ride or work for that matter. Enbrel also has a financial assistance program that in my circumstances pays $4000 a year against co-pays or needed supplies. Ask your Dr. to reccomend a good Rheumatoligist and make an appointment. You won't regret it.

Ol' Chief Larry of the Dirty Ducks MC
Old 29th February 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp84Alum View Post
New indication is moderate chronic pain.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 29th February 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
zakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to behold

That sucks sorry to hear that
Old 7th March 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It's now also listed for arthritis.

Quote:
I've been on Enbrel for 3 years. Without it I couldn't ride or work for that matter.
My allergy doctor is afraid to let me try it. Doesn't want to kill me.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th March 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c 105th Anniversary
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
professir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of lightprofessir is a glorious beacon of light

You may also want to investigate Lyrica. I have cronic severe pain from neck fusion and elbow reconstruction. They tried it with me, but didnt work, so I am on Tramadol, Advil, Acetaminophen and 2 night meds to help bring the pain down a bit.

Don't give up!