The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (71), outlawreb (59), rabes56 (58), Bigmatt (56), Beaker666 (50), hippiemwc (50), wumm883c (48), 2wheeltodd (47), israel (42), Stitch (37), Dekooy (31), Ameri-Deutsch (30)
Energy One Clutches
Biltwell
Ironworks Magazine
RYCA Motors

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2007 XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
DIESEL has disabled reputation
Default Rear brake, sometimes hard sometime soft

OK, I have had issues with the POS rear brake on this bike forever. The Master has been rebuilt by HD twice, then I did it my self.

The brake works, it will stop you. Here are my issues. Yes, I have the factory manual.

1. when backing the bike up, it makes a rubbing noise.
2. Sometimes the pedal is stiff, sometimes the pedal goes all the way before it stops.

I have just gotten used to it, but this weekend I think I am going to take the caliper off and clean it up, I just changed the brake pads on it. topped it off with fluid.

My wife's bike is an 07 and I haven't had any issues with it.
Old 10th February 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Loony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud ofLoony has much to be proud of

I think if you have done all that then it has to be in the linkage, maybe something is turning round that has worn out.

I'm sure you know all this, but...

How are you bleeding the brakes? Do you have a pressure bleed setup? I have heard the rear is a bitch to bleed properly. Could be air?

The only other thing I can imagine is that the rear disc is warped? Making the Pads Knock off? so you get a slack pedal intermittently.

You say the MC has been repaired have you changed the seals in the caliper or checked the pot is not binding? does the caliper slide freely and is greased up?

Loony

2004 XL1200 Roadster - TC88A Jester 5 (Thanks Rico) - EZ IMS - CVP Jet Needle - 48 pilot - 180 Main - K&N Airfilter - SEII Slipons.

Quote:
I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there.
Richard Feynman, Letter to Armando Garcia J, December 11, 1985
US educator & physicist (1918 - 1988)

Please take a look at this amazing task and worthy cause:

Christian Nock Around Britain - Coastline Walk To highlight the plight of homelessness of ex-soldiers.

Tools needed for the Job

1 X Mk1 British Army Infantry Soldier, a Target and some time.

http://www.christianaroundbritain.co.uk/

http://www.bmycharity.com/ChristianNock

https://www.facebook.com/christian.britain.3?fref=ts
Old 10th February 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2007 XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
DIESEL has disabled reputation

I will report back looney....I have to check out some of those things. Everything seemed to be in order. I am gonna pull it and have a look see.

I bled then with a vacuum bleed thing, they are a PITA to bleed.
Old 10th February 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
PiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud of

Your rear brake should not be ashamed of this. Millions of rear breaks suffer from this problem, and it can is often treatable with modern pharmaceuticals and psychological counseling.
Old 11th February 2012
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

Replace the Master Cylinder
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil
Wix 57148 oil filter
Max Power, 79.17
Max Torque, 75.98
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
DaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond repute

next time you bleed, but the bike up on the lift and let the caliper hang down below the slave cylinder. It helps.
If you are loosing fluid you may have a small leak, I would say to replace the crush washers and torque it all down good!

Air shock information thread
Old 11th February 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
ironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of lightironhead1313 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
Your rear brake should not be ashamed of this. Millions of rear breaks suffer from this problem, and it can is often treatable with modern pharmaceuticals and psychological counseling.
No doubt!! They also get leaky at old age, so I've heard.

Sounds like a leak in the line somewhere to me also.
Old 12th February 2012
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

Ask Wedge how we know !
Old 12th February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: '99
Other Motorcycle Model: RoadKing
Other Motorcycle Year: '99
Fivecats is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a set of "speed bleeders" off Ebay.
Old 12th February 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
OK, I have had issues with the POS rear brake on this bike forever. The Master has been rebuilt by HD twice, then I did it my self.

The brake works, it will stop you. Here are my issues. Yes, I have the factory manual.

1. when backing the bike up, it makes a rubbing noise.
2. Sometimes the pedal is stiff, sometimes the pedal goes all the way before it stops.

I have just gotten used to it, but this weekend I think I am going to take the caliper off and clean it up, I just changed the brake pads on it. topped it off with fluid.

My wife's bike is an 07 and I haven't had any issues with it.
When you say you did it yourself, what did you do, replace the MC, or did you rebuild it, or did you just take it apart and look at it?

This is the symptom of a split primary cup, and both Rocketman and I have had the problem.

What seems to be happening on some is that the primary cup is molded with a tit in the center of it that is placed inside a washer that is welded to the return spring inside the MC. This is supposed to keep the spring centered in the cup, but it seems like the lateral forces that it gets when braking cause it to tear that tit out of the center of the cup.

It starts as a small tear and the metal piston behind it keeps it from leaking when you push the pedal, but some times a bit leaks past the cup and the pedal will go to the ground. Then it works again sometimes.

Mine showed up while changing a rear tire and it never did start working again until the MC was rebuilt.

Slightly different symptoms with Rocketman's bike, but same exact torn cup.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Know Thy Hog