The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
Fix My Hog
Figure Machine
Progressive Suspension
Progressive Suspension

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 70
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Softail Springer
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
SpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished roadSpringerSam is on a distinguished road
Default .070 Over

I am in the process of replacing the rings on my 900 and they were stamped
.070 over. I ordered a set and to my surprise, they were way to small. I took one of the cyliners to the local dealer and after measuring the bore, I found out I had 1000 jugs on my motor. I had no idea that this was even possible. In any event, has anyone else have this situation? Would they be the original heads? Is there a large performance increase over stock? Is it possible to go back to stock equipment or did it require modifying the block?

Thanks,

Sam
Old 5th January 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

Dytch used to make 3"3/16 jugs (and pistons...) for old 900 from the early 60's. Normally the cyls are cast marked "Front" and "Rear" on the left hand side. They needed the crankcase cyl bores enlarged obviously.

These were std height and usually for use with stocker pistons.

So check your stroke as well!!!

The 900 heads needed machining to fit on the Dytch cyls and use bigger head gaskets. The 1000 OEM gasket can be made to fit these, otherwise, trim some 900 head gaskets to suit.

Patrick