The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
Motor Stage
Superbrace.com
Lickscycles
DK Customs

Licks Cycles
Tags
39mm tubes, 6" over., raked, triple trees

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xl custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
heater27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello! Raked Triple Tree Advice badly Needed

Hello All Sportster Riders! Just joined and I'm happy I did! I'm kind of an old novice rider, so please bear with me. I have a 2005 xl custom 1200. I extended the tubes 6" over and changed the handlebars to the bullhorn pullback style. So far I love it. However, the center of gravity seems too high since the motor and frame do not ride level to the ground. My novice solution? Rake the front end! And that's what I want to do. The 5* cup set I ordered from VTwin could not be installed according to my Harley mechanic. Most raked triple trees I can find only accept 41mm tubes (mine has 39mm, of course). The Accutronics triple trees that have a 5* rake and will take 39mm tubes are mucho expensive, and I've read on here that their chrome plate is not so hot. I've discovered a company called Chrome Horse that sells beauty triple trees in 6* rakes for about $150 (close to my budget) but can't find one that will accept 39mm tubes. Question: Is it possible to use a triple tree for 41mm tubes with my 39mm tubes? Question: Does anyone know of a place that sells trees for my bike at a reasonable cost? Question: As a Sportster expert (compared to me), what would you do with my limited budget? Please help me if you are able to,...

Thank you, in advance.

PS. I have pics of my bike, but I haven't figured out how to post them yet.
Old 14th February 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
JDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enoughJDRAKE4200 will become famous soon enough

If I were you, Id get some raked cups for the trees you have. That will fit your budget and tubes. Do a search, you will find several threads where this has been covered.
Old 14th February 2012
チェッカー

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L/1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Baphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond repute

Just to help you with your thinking process, what you need to consider is the "trail". The diagram below shows where the trail is. You can google up a rake and trail calculator to give you an idea of how much rake you need given your extended fork length. You could probably get close enough guessing it out, but I'd calculate it first to get in the ballpark of what you need.

Oh, I should add that my bike has 6" over tubes and my bike is raked an additional 14 degree from stock.
Old 14th February 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

Bearing cups will increase your trail and give more stability, Raked trees will subtract trail, Many guys go with raked trees but keep to a max of about 4 degrees. You can lower your extended forks a bit just by sliding them up in your existing trees to get your bike back down a bit for free.
Old 14th February 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the XLForum.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th February 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
worn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of lightworn is a glorious beacon of light

There's a difference after '03, Vulcan Engineering has 3 degree raked bearing cups to fit your bike, but I don't know of any 5 degree cups for '04 and later. You could combine 3 degree raked cup and 3 degree raked trees but that's getting pretty expensive.
If it was me, I would just rake the frame or have it raked.
Old 16th February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xl custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
heater27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the advice - sounds like cups are better than trees - anyone know where to get a 5* raked bearing cups?