The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
DK Customs
Energy One Clutches
S&S Cycle
DK Customs

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
sexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of light
Default bar drilling

hey folks. all my stuff finally arrived for my bar change out.

got some sweet 12" apes from biltwell however they are dimpled.

going to need to drill them to wire internally, but heres where i need the help - where in the dimple do i drill the hole for the wire to enter the bars?

ive taken a pic and color marked some positions where i think i should drill. please have a look and let me know which color is the right area! this is the left hand clutch side:

thanks for all the help guys it is much appreciated
Old 23rd February 2012
Amateur Hour

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant future

Put your hand controls on it and look it will be staring at you. I always drill in the middle, your red dot. Then i get a die grinder out and widen and smooth towards the blue and yellow dot. The more oblong you make it, the easier it will be. make sure you run the die grinder in the bar to get rid of any burs, or a hand file. spray some juice on your wires and they will slide in nice
Old 23rd February 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
sexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of lightsexpanther is a glorious beacon of light

thanks madnss, will give it a go!
Old 24th February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
ESS is an unknown quantity at this point

I like to drill mine where the yellow circle is. I use three different size bits for the control holes. I start with 1/8", then 3/8" and finish with 1/2". I start the 1/8" straight, but by the time I get to the 1/2" I've angled the drill bit so the wires will have more of a straight shot into the bars. For the wiring exit slot I drill three 1/8" holes first and then follow that with the 3/8" bit so the holes just touch. You can wiggle the bit to connect the holes. Sometimes I just get a small cut off wheel on my dremel to finish the slot since I'm going to use the dremel next anyway. After holes are drilled and exit hole is slotted I put a small fine sanding drum (1/4" x 1/2") on the dremel and carefully clean up the sharp edges.

Also, make sure to protect the rest of the bar. I use a couple layers of blue tape around the hole area I don't want accidentally damaged. I cover the rest of the bar with some shop rags held on by blue tape. This is especially helpful with black bars. They scratch very easily and the drill bit or dremel can sometimes get away. Accidents happen. For the black bars I finish the bare areas with touch up paint. For chrome I'll use some clear nail polish to seal it and prevent any rust.
Old 24th February 2012
Non-ancraophobic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond reputeAB,Frank has a reputation beyond repute

where you have the yellow circle ,is where I drilled mine(1/2")

Old 24th February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
perk85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
where you have the yellow circle ,is where I drilled mine(1/2")
exactly what i did on my friscos