The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER & BUELL MOTORCYCLE RACING > LSR - Sporster & Buell Motorcycle Land Speed Record
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

LSR - Sporster & Buell Motorcycle Land Speed Record Discuss Sportster & Buell Motorcycle Land Speed Record events.

Members Birthdays
sportxlh, willprevale (73), eagle (68), Willard (66), arby (63), XLC Curt (61), Boricuaurfer64 (50), zook1065 (47), Foxdud (46), stg (45), skeeter_xb (43), mountainman
Sky Smith Insurance
RYCA Motors
Sky Smith Insurance
Energy One Clutches

Zippers Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XL Sidecar
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of
Default The Road to History (Salt Flats Prep)

Don't know if this is where this should be... This thread was suggested by a few very supportive people who thought it may be interesting for readers and racers alike... Its a think tank or swap of info to help the new guys make things work out and for the vets to maybe reflect and come up with some new tricks to play with...

The start....

So I'm taking a huge leap here. I'm a custom guy. I've built more bikes in my short life than I can count. I've walked with Honors at events to the point I don't keep the awards anymore. I've done the magazine thing. Done the TV gig. Have run my own place for almost 10years (which is just under a third of my life). I still get calls from out of state to do hotrods and bikes alike. I still develope products and odd ideas for other companies.... I decided to take a lil time for myself and do things I've always wanted to do, and have to say I'm loving it and feel more successful with the folks gathering around than any other time in my short run in this industry...

I decided I want to go to the salt. I've proven over and over I can make fast reliable "hotrods"... Have proven I can even make them catch peoples eye. What I have never proven to myself is where my limit is. What can I really do? So the salt was the answer.... to prove to myself where I really stand. Where boys go home and history is made. A few great folks heard I was interested in doing this and they have now forced me to put my money where my mouth is...

I have little time to prep. Some have been working since last year to be ready for this run down. I'm starting my prep in a few weeks once I catch up with some lil projects I'm finishing. I have decided I'm running my street bike. I want to run the bike to show what my Turbo Kit can actually do and support that turbos are a great power adder and can be rock solid... stands to reason that if I can run my stocker with a turbo wide open for miles and miles that it will be safe on your bike that only sees turbo excitement in short bursts right? Well because there is something wrong with me I also decided to complicate my situation by saying I'm going to run with my sidecar on the bike... so I guess you would say I'm running a "force fed push rod sidecar v twin street bike". Dunno if there is even enough space to write that on the form but that's my choice.

So with the lil I have done in the industry this is my mile marker. To actually do what I have said is a dream. To run the salt flat out. I def could have made better choices, but I've never been one to do things normal or easy.... so I'm prob running the wrong bike, running induction most say won't work, and handicapping myself even more by adding a extra 200lbs off center... You can see NASA will prob never ever call me unless they want a flathead powered Nitrous 1 winged space shuttle... but thats how it is. As I write this I am realizing I'm not even a underdog. I'm really not even shoeshine boy I'm trying to do the best with the worst... then again isn't that how legends are born?

Prep work...

To start I have to get a rule book. Register. Put money aside. Schedule and make travel plans... and this is before the bike is even ready... So where to start...

Which group.... SCTA, Bubs, what?

Open floor to input now... on anything discussed so far. You know the plan. You know the good and bad of the mess. Toss Ideas out there and lets see as a group here on XLF if we can all figure a way to make this happen...

Floor is yours XLF members.
Old 26th February 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250-X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
HandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud of

I would give anything to be there with you Jason...maybe someday soon. I have no doubt if you can figure out the slippage you will do well.
Old 26th February 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: '07
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB12Ss
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '09
Other Motorcycle Model: Hayabusa
Other Motorcycle Year: '99
Quay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the rough

Any chance after your sidecar run you could detach, and run just the bike too?
Old 26th February 2012

HandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud of

I have been eyeballing these... (1000cc)

M-PBF 08/11 125.922mph (H-D)

M-PBG 09/09 143.360mph (Buell)

The way I read the rules is you must run gas provided on site...Fuel class is unlimited, so you could add a drop of vinegar and qualify for that class...or nothing at all. I am assuming that the "Blown" class includes turbo's...someone correct me if I am wrong.

SC-PF 10/07 128.136mph (Buell)

SC-PG 08/09 126.950mph (H-D)

1350cc -

SC-BF 08/04 142.580mph (Kawasaki)

SC-BG 08/91 160.406mph (Kawasaki)

Last edited by HandOverFist; 26th February 2012 at 20:18..
Old 26th February 2012
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

Bubs is more run what ya brung I think

SCTA and BNI have more rules

Is there a class for a Side Car ?

You need to talk to Aaron Wilson and Dan Dunn about the Salt

And Larry out of Bakersfield (ol38y)

FWIW El Mirage is less than 70 miles from me and I think you are near Phoenix ?

Get it built and bring it over here to shake it down

I will make my humble garage available
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil
Wix 57148 oil filter
Max Power, 79.17
Max Torque, 75.98
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th February 2012

If you don't see a class in say 1350cc, does that mean it is open? For instance, SC-PBF or SC/PBG? I would like to know if a turbo would run in the blown class.
Old 26th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

Wow... that opened up quick! Great info, good responses, and so far no nay sayers... I think the salt is where I'm gonna find a home. LSR people all seem to be supportive no matter what crazy idea you decide to try, love these people!

... It has been explained that I could remove the car but it would require a lot of work to run two different classes back to back and would really be hard on a first timer... so as it stands, Yes, I could run with then without. I don't think I'm going to though because too late in life I found my affection not only for forcefeeding but for hacks. Turbos and sidecars alike are so different from what most of us know as riders and they are both so odd that I fell in love from the word go once trying both... so my mission at this point is to promote the use of both sidecars and turbos, maybe not together, but the ideas behind both in general. So if I run sidecar, I'm only running that setup during that trip...

Will be looking into the Bubs and the SCTA both to see where to go... as far as the use of garage for shake downs... thank you sir, will be in touch def to try to do something like that. If nothing else but to involve yet one more person in a long struggle to hit a goal. Thanks again for the input and kind offer and support
Old 26th February 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki DR200
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
alvycolt45 is a splendid one to beholdalvycolt45 is a splendid one to beholdalvycolt45 is a splendid one to beholdalvycolt45 is a splendid one to beholdalvycolt45 is a splendid one to beholdalvycolt45 is a splendid one to beholdalvycolt45 is a splendid one to beholdalvycolt45 is a splendid one to beholdalvycolt45 is a splendid one to beholdalvycolt45 is a splendid one to beholdalvycolt45 is a splendid one to behold

SCTA Speedweek is the oldest and the most attended. That means it's harder to get hotel rooms and the lines to make speed runs are longer. The crowd is older and more diverse. Hot rods and rat cars are everywhere, bikes are a second class citizen in some ways.

BUB is a newer but growing event which is bikes only. The crowd is younger and it's like a big biker rally. Yes, there is a run-what-ya-brung track but speed is still king on the long tracks.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 26th February 2012

If I am reading this right Jason these are what you will be up against...

Axles/pinch bolts must be safety wired - steering dampner required - all glass must be taped
Old 26th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
If I am reading this right Jason these are what you will be up against...

Axles/pinch bolts must be safety wired - steering dampner required - all glass must be taped
Those may or maynot stand if they separate pushrod motors vs ohc's...i hope. If they lump me in there then it'll be a long long long road to the goal

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
Know Thy Hog