The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
Figure Machine
Bison Motorsports
Licks Holiday
RYCA Motors

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of
Default "TurboCat" Turbo Kit

After weeks of question asking and bugging Jason I placed an order for one of the TurboCat systems. Going into this I knew absolutely nothing about turbos other than the very basics of how they work, Jason will probably tell you I asked more questions than a 6 year old. I wanted to give my engine a little more umph, but didn't necessarily want a 90" torque monster, the turbo seems to me the cheapest and safest way to keep it safe and streetable. (plus if I ever needed to it seems I could transfer to another bike very easily) For those who see turbos as kind of unorthodox, try to keep an open mind. At first I thought it would blow my engine up, cost way too much, etc. - the more research I have done the more i see otherwise.

When I get the kit I will start another thread with pics and install information, from what Jason has told me it is a pretty straightforward install. Sounds like it should be here just as winter ends, hopefully shortly thereafter i'll be getting right around 100HP!

One thing I will say about Jason for anyone who hasn't dealt with him - he has a wealth of knowledge and certainly doesn't mind sharing it. Anytime I had a question Jason was quick to respond to an email, always going above and beyond making sure I understood what he was saying. There are several other business owners on XLforum who take pride in helping their customers understand what they are buying and what they really need, i can personally say Jason has the same mindset.

I'll keep everyone posted on my thoughts on the kit, I can't answer too much technically since I don't have the kit yet but if you have any questions or comments, shoot.
Old 28th February 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

I think you will be very happy with your project and look forward to hearing your thoughts once you have it up and running. Steve
Old 28th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru View Post
I think you will be very happy with your project and look forward to hearing your thoughts once you have it up and running. Steve

Steve - with you having experience riding one of Jasons earlier systems, that comment gives me even more confidence I'll be happy with the product. Your "First Ride..." thread along with part two really helped me make my decision, thank you for those.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Old 28th February 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

welcome to the club.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 28th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: model 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHS
EL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to behold

Jason might want to give the name some more thought..turboCat is already in use by a vacuum company

Old 28th February 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

small difference: one sucks and the other blows....
Old 28th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpusher View Post
small difference: one sucks and the other blows....

Ha, you beat me to it!! I am not sure if TurboCat is the "official" name or not...

Old 28th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: model 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHS
EL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to beholdEL in NH is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8nformyruca View Post
Ha, you beat me to it!! I am not sure if TurboCat is the "official" name or not...

You kids behave yourself now..
Old 28th February 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250-X
HandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud of

Just to set the record straight, "TurboCat" was my creation...it is on loan to Jason.
Old 28th February 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I thought it came from Hellcat Customs? Doesn't matter...

Know Thy Hog