The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
883 Sportster
Biltwell

Burly

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 Deluxe - sold now
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWGi
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
CharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really nice
Default Michelin Commander II tires

Folks - I've loved Metzeler tires - the Marathon 880's for a while. Here in Florida they ride and corner well, do great in wet weather, or dry, and dont wander all over the place like the Dunlops do on bridge gratings and grooved road surfaces.

I'm here to tell you that the Commander II rides as well, corners as well, stops as well as the Metz 880. I've got one on the back right now, and it was hop on the bike and ride. No new turning surprises, no handling issues... no nothing. They're like old friends.

AND - Michelin claims (claims, sure....) that they get about twice the miles as compared to the Metz 880 on the back of a Harley. Yes they tested against a Harley dresser/bagger with a Metz 880. They are saying up to 24,000 miles on a back tire!!!! (40,000km)

Dunno if I'll get that, but the price is no worse (a little better really) than the Metzeler, so what the hell.... I tried it, and can say it handles just as well.
Old 2nd March 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: '07 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: '0
Graybeard has disabled reputation

I've always liked Avon Venoms, much better tire than Dunlop in my opinion. But reading your post on Michelin Commander II tires, I have to wonder how they compare to the Avon? Will have to check into this, My bike is not ready for tires yet, but will by the fall or a little sooner.
Old 2nd March 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: '07
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB12Ss
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '09
Other Motorcycle Model: Hayabusa
Other Motorcycle Year: '99
Quay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the roughQuay is a jewel in the rough

I think we should keep posted on Commander II tread life and performance over the long run. A tire that handles admirably and still gets 20,000+ miles could be quite a find. The Dunlops are capable of substantial tread life, but the handling and traction are only adequate.
Old 2nd March 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: custom sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice

what are they like in the wet? (((-:
Old 2nd March 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 Deluxe - sold now
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWGi
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
CharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really nice

So far so good on wet...but to be honest only been tested on wet roads not heavy rain.
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Bokster is an unknown quantity at this point

I getting a set put on tomorrow. I thank you for your input!
Thanks,
Bok
Old 19th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Dyna Superglide
XLBolivia is a glorious beacon of lightXLBolivia is a glorious beacon of lightXLBolivia is a glorious beacon of lightXLBolivia is a glorious beacon of lightXLBolivia is a glorious beacon of lightXLBolivia is a glorious beacon of lightXLBolivia is a glorious beacon of lightXLBolivia is a glorious beacon of lightXLBolivia is a glorious beacon of lightXLBolivia is a glorious beacon of lightXLBolivia is a glorious beacon of light

subscribed.

Gonna keep my eye on this thread for when I need a set of tires. Looking for the best stock size tires I can possibly find for occasional light mud and slop, wet/flooded roads (~10% of time), as well as normal dry pavement on ok to poorly maintained pavement (~90% of time).

Any further opinions posted here greatly appreciated!
Old 27th July 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: custom sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice308bever is just really nice

how are those commandersII going?
Old 17th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Bokster is an unknown quantity at this point

" Sorry for the delay. Well I now have 2000mi on these puppy's
& I must say ( I'm no expert or a long time rider but) they are 100% better than stock tires.
They don't track; have good traction; corner like on rails. rides like a different bike, softerride. I love UM !!!
Best performance upgrade for my money yet.
Talked to a guy that had 12,000 mi on his, said they were the best he ever tried.( & he was an Ol'Timer) The wear looked no different than on my new ones !!
The best thing is in the handling & not tracking,feels safer.
Hope this helps. I highly recommend them!
"Da Bokster"
Old 17th September 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Poolman is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed the Michelin Commander II tires 2600 miles on them and they are the greatest. I was never happy with the stock tires, never liked the feel of them. The Commanders corner like on rails as stated by Bokster. The tires are also great on wet roads. Would highly recommend these tire to anyone looks to replace the stock tires on their bike.
Know Thy Hog