The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle Talk Sleek, fast and cool. Discuss your Cafe Racer Sportster Motorcycle

Members Birthdays
Fix My Hog
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches
S&S Cycle

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Hugger 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
gjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nice
Default Geoff's Cafester project

I've been working on my sporty all winter, and just like when I initially converted to a NRHS 1250 kit this one started with an oil leak on the rear cylinder. So, I decided to get my stock 883 heads ported, and then things started to spiral.

When I saw the cafe image thread, I new that was my style, and although I'm not done, I thought I'd share my progress thus far.

I'm going to create separate posts. This current post will contain the "Before" and "Current" photos. I'll try to keep the words to a minimum, and let the pictures do the talking.

Before:

Current (still in progress):

The Changes:
- NRHS Stage 2 883 heads
- Andrews N4 cams (used from forum member)
- RSD Clipons (used from forum member)
- Cafe Fiberglass seat (in progress modifying - used from forum member)
- Avon Grips (JP)
- Magnum Shielding front brake line and new throttle cables
- Brembro Front Brake (ebay deal found here on the forum)
- SuperTrapp 2:1 (ebay "used but new" deals)
- Progressive Rear shocks (13.5")
- Chainsikle rearsets - new style built custom to fit pre-2003 bikes! Thanks Shane! Awesome service here people!
- Used "standard" kickstand (the hugger ks was too short!) (ebay)

Paint all rattle can:
- Harley Black Wrinkle engine paint
- Satin black engine paint from Lordco
- forks and trees : gloss black duplicolor
- mirrors and battery box : Black Chrome "Shadow" Duplicolor

Last edited by gjukema; 10th March 2012 at 07:44.. Reason: more detail regarding the painting, "Used" kickstand, not new, Shane not Steve (sorry)
Old 6th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

gjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nicegjukema is just really nice
Default Dissassembly

What started this project was a gasket leak on the rear cylinder:

And on a nice day last October, I started pulling it apart:

Old 6th March 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
redi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud of

Cool! I've been thinking about doin a Cafester.
Old 6th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default Then it got cold..needed a Garage

We've been calling this my "Dexter Garage" all winter. Using a borrowed propane heater and bright lights from a friend, I was able to work evenings and weekends during the cold weather in comfort:

Last edited by gjukema; 6th March 2012 at 05:35.. Reason: typo in title
Old 6th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default Painting

After a lot of reading, I decided to try out the Harley Wrinkle Black engine paint. Hopefully it holds up:

Used Satin Black engine paint from Lordco:

Know Thy Hog

Old 6th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default Reassembly

I'm including this mostly so you can see my garage from the inside. By this point, I had painted the forks, wheels, and the engine was almost put back together.

Old 6th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default Speedo Relocation

I decided I didn't want a bunch of bulky stuff on the top of the forks, so I relocated the speedo, but I wanted the idiot lights to remain at the top.

Installed:

Speedo bracket still needs some cleanup and paint, but it's there:

Old 6th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default Headlight relocation

I never much cared for the eyebrow, so I tapped the bottom tripple-t and created a bracket to bolt into it.

The bracket still needs to be painted, and I need to add curved washers so I can adjust the tilt of the light, but it's solid:

Underside:

Old 6th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default First day Running

This is the first time I got it running after tearing the engine apart. A little out of order from the speedo relocation. You will see that I don't actually have the foot controls attached yet

Old 6th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default Chainsikle Rearsets

Since my bike had forward controls, I needed to change to either rearsets or mid controls. I couldn't find a decent price on used mid controls, and even though I was hesitant regarding comfort, I decided to send Shane at Chainsikle an email.

I saw on another forum user that Shane came up with a new style that removed the boomerang from the shift side. Because I'm 5'11" and a bum knee, I wanted an option for a lower position. Shane was quick (real quick) to accommodate. I emailed him on Saturday, he sent photos with ideas, I ordered them Sunday late at night and he started on them right away. Was done in less than 5 days!

Brake Side : (Yes, I have a new brake cable coming)

Shifter Side:

Last edited by gjukema; 10th March 2012 at 07:43.. Reason: fixed second image (typo), Shane! not Steve. (sorry)
Know Thy Hog