The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
DK Customs
Burly
Progressive Suspension

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
EasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the rough

Any other input guys?
Old 13th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r -1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 850 Yamaha TRX
Other Motorcycle Year: 98
tich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRider84 View Post
With my lack of experience, I'm just trying to make this is simple as possible to reliably get my bike back on the road. The weather is too good to miss. I need to figure out what I need for gaskets or any tools I might need so I can get this going.
Torqe wrench. with an adapter if needed for the socketset 1/2-3/8 drive?
Set of AF allan (hex) keys.
AF spanners 7/16 1/2 9/16. to my memory

and a little socket/spanner to get the horn screws out.

Top-end gasket set. if you want easy, get the set.

Socket set of the side drive type that is the bit that touches the bolt are vertical lines not the hexagonal femail,if I aint explaining well its a femail of the head bolts.
Its not torx.

If your not taking the pistons off, a ring compressor will be usefull .
mines a spring steal sheat with a big hose clip welded to it.
rags
A book

A few small box's or trays for the bits you take off.
larger box's to keep the stuff in order. ie front heads/ back heads

4 plastick bags for the push rods
masking tape and pen. mark the coil wires left & rt. push rods etc
patiance.

blue locktight
eng oil
Assembly lube if you can get it, bur engine oil will do.

WD or similer. spray the exaust manifold bolts now and every day untill you get round to starting the job. This can save you a lot of grief. Its one of the few problem areas of this job.

Dont bother decoking the heads (unless there obviously in need of it) just the piston tops.

A free wk end

Dont forget to enjoy the process.
I forgot to mention that having a mech ' minded mate to shair the day and offer that "3rd hand" helps take some of the "First time stress away to.

Last edited by tich; 13th March 2012 at 12:42..
Old 13th March 2012
Master Mechanic

EasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the roughEasyRider84 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tich View Post
Torqe wrench. with an adapter if needed for the socketset 1/2-3/8 drive?
Set of AF allan (hex) keys.
AF spanners 7/16 1/2 9/16. to my memory

and a little socket/spanner to get the horn screws out.

Top-end gasket set. if you want easy, get the set.

Socket set of the side drive type that is the bit that touches the bolt are vertical lines not the hexagonal femail,if I aint explaining well its a femail of the head bolts.
Its not torx.

If your not taking the pistons off, a ring compressor will be usefull .
mines a spring steal sheat with a big hose clip welded to it.
rags
A book

A few small box's or trays for the bits you take off.
larger box's to keep the stuff in order. ie front heads/ back heads

4 plastick bags for the push rods
masking tape and pen. mark the coil wires left & rt. push rods etc
patiance.

blue locktight
eng oil
Assembly lube if you can get it, bur engine oil will do.

WD or similer. spray the exaust manifold bolts now and every day untill you get round to starting the job. This can save you a lot of grief. Its one of the few problem areas of this job.

Dont bother decoking the heads (unless there obviously in need of it) just the piston tops.

A free wk end

Dont forget to enjoy the process.
I forgot to mention that having a mech ' minded mate to shair the day and offer that "3rd hand" helps take some of the "First time stress away to.
I appreciate all this info man, thanks again. I'm hoping my brother in law can help, second set of hands but he doesn't have too much experience either. I'm not sure what AF means. When you say spanner I just think of the flat wrenches used to adjust suspension. I'm sure I'm over thinking this, I just want to be prepared. Where can I get a ring compressor? Any tips on decoking the top of the pistons? I'm not sure what gaskets to go with. It's a 95 883 with some form of 1200 conversion. I'm assuming stock 1200 parts, but not sure. I got a real good deal on the bike, but I'm beginning to see why.
Old 13th March 2012
Master Mechanic

From what I'm reading, I'm leaning towards the cometic top end kit. Is there much price difference between this and the HD gasket kit? I'm still not sure what thickness to go with.
Old 13th March 2012
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRider84 View Post
From what I'm reading, I'm leaning towards the cometic top end kit. Is there much price difference between this and the HD gasket kit? I'm still not sure what thickness to go with.
Tich is one of those guys that call a "wrench" a spanner! He can't help it.....he missed the Mayflower when it sailed! You really don't have to have a ring compressor. If you are careful, and with a 2nd set of hands.....you can compress them while your Technical Assistant holds the cylinder and lowers it very carefully. I used the MOCO top end gasket set myself......but I also bought the MLS head gaskets. I wish I had used steel base gaskets....because I know how hard the originals were to get cleaned off.....and I know that someday I will have the jugs off again...............although when that happens....I am hoping 1250 ones will replace them, so I guess it wont matter!

Stuff: YES
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r -1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 850 Yamaha TRX
Other Motorcycle Year: 98
tich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond reputetich has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BWP 5p for the translation.
I did not miss the Mayflower, I didnt even aim. It wasnt me

Easyrider84
Yes BWP sais, you can do without the spring compressor with a steady hand and a second set of eyes. If you can get one all the better.
I got mine from the local car tools shop its nothing special but makes life easier and less stresfull.
I also use a small flat head screw driver to push the rings as the barrel gets close.

A soft rubber mallet is usefull for gently tapping the barrel square over the oil ring. The barrel entrance is chamferd to make this possible.

AF = Across the Flats and is in inch as oposed to a metrick spanner/wrench.
I forget that some folk are not burdend with a french metrick. (Long live the inch!)
Gaskets are as a 1200.

Cometick gaskets are metal the head gasket on my conversion needed one of the 2 rivits cutting off as the head was clamping on one. There instructions warn of this on modified engines.

Its not a problem but another job, If your looking to go stress free, then the HD is proberly the way to go. there new base gaskets are metal now or so I was told.
The last top end kit I got had 883 and 1200 head gaskets in. use the 1200.
Everything else is the same.

Over here the Cometick are more expensive than the HD but available in difering thickness.
HD are now 60 odd thou!!
If your getting the cometick and you dont know what your engine is made from (which pistons) then you can measure your old head and base gasket
thickness and make shore the new ones add to the same total or (You know what Im going to say ) measure the squish and and get the gaskets to make it .030" well 28 to 35 seems to be the consensus.

If your gaskets mesure over the original total (head and base) .056" you aint going to be far off. Thats the HD ones that I mesured coming off my 03.
Bloody 'ell its late, I'm off to bed.
PS oil them manifold bolts while your thinking about it

Last edited by tich; 14th March 2012 at 00:52..
Old 14th March 2012
Master Mechanic

If mine has the old paper gaskets, they will be compressed won't they? The thickness won't be the same right? Thanks for all this info, still not sure what gaskets I'm gonna order. I'm not sure I'll have a second hand, so I will look for a ring compressor.
Old 14th March 2012
Master Mechanic

I'm thinking maybe I should tear one of the cylinders down to see what's going on before I order anything. I'm just worried during the time waiting, I'll forget what the hell I did. I'm sure I'm putting more thought in to this than is needed, but I want a reliable scoot for the summer.
Old 14th March 2012
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future

just get a stock top end gasket set from Cometic, James or HD......it's a cool job to do, an assistant can be a lot of help..... start in the morning and ride it that afternoon......

no worries

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 14th March 2012
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need a ring compressor that comes apart.....so you can remove it from UNDER the cylinder. I bought a relatively cheap one from Snap-on.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Know Thy Hog