The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Speedway Instruments
Motor Stage
NHRS Performance
Bison Motorsports

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
motolou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1981 ironhead boardtracker project

hey guys i just wanted to post this project over here because it's been several years since i posted anything on here. i also have it over on the horse backstreet choppers and chopcult forums. i bought this bike at a bike salvage yard last year for $700 and it has about $700 in backfees. still $1400 is pretty good. i brought it home and got a better look at this thing. someone had already fitted a cv carb on it so that was a plus. i cleaned the carb and connected a battery to the chopped up wiring harness, fired right up. the front cylinder will be needing some addressing as the pressure is low in that one (don't remember how much though). my plans for this bike was to make it into a boardtracker along with another bike i made for a customer, kinda like a big/little sister deal. i got really busy in the shop so this one had to take a back seat for a while. i finally dragged it back out a couple weeks ago. it will basically be just like the xs400 in the pics below but yet have it's own unique features you know? here are some pics of what the bike was and where i am going with it.

how i bought it

what she is going to look like more or less

where i am at with this project so far

Old 12th March 2012
Lord of the Flies

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Other Motorcycle Model: Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
Grumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of light

man that is looking cool. I love the board tracker look when done right....
'83 GL1100 Goldwing (cafe project)
My '86 XLH build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR DICK View Post
...like so many other things in life, bikes on the verge of self destruction thru modification are a blast.
Old 12th March 2012
Greasemonkey

thanks man! i'm so excited about this bike. this is my second ironhead and i still miss my first one which was a '75. i have had a few shovels but my heart is still with these ironheads. i love em
Old 12th March 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
tink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enoughtink409 will become famous soon enough

i like what your doing, that old girl needed some TLC badly
Old 12th March 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
doodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to all

that's a very interesting frame; did you make it?

Old 12th March 2012
Lord of the Flies

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Other Motorcycle Model: Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
Grumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of lightGrumpy_Chef is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolou View Post
thanks man! i'm so excited about this bike. this is my second ironhead and i still miss my first one which was a '75. i have had a few shovels but my heart is still with these ironheads. i love em
I just got a '75 semi-basket case that I'm bring back to life.. Love these old Irons. Is that finished bike yours too? It looks like it has a KZ 400/440 engine? that bike looks sweet....
Old 12th March 2012
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Chef View Post
I just got a '75 semi-basket case that I'm bring back to life.. Love these old Irons. Is that finished bike yours too? It looks like it has a KZ 400/440 engine? that bike looks sweet....

thanks fellas, i build bikes for a living. the finished bike is a 1981 yamaha xs400 which i made for a customer. i started both the yamaha and the ironhead projects at the same time but like i stated, i got alot busy in the shop and the ironhead had to take the back seat! i make everything in house
Old 13th March 2012
Greasemonkey

hey guys i just had a quick question. i will be rebuilding the top end due to the fact that one of the cylinders has low compression (don't remember how much but pretty sure it was more than 20psi. difference) i also checked to make sure it was the rings and not the valves by putting in a little oil in the cylinder, cranked it over and the psi went up pretty good. anyhow. i am not sure what size the pistons are at because i haven't cracked the heads open yet. hopefully standard so i can go up 10 or 20 over. my question would be what other repairs should i consider on this engine besides a valve job and a new clutch. i think i will be keeping this one for me and i definately want it to last for a while. i am also on a budget so don't say blueprint the thing....won't happen on this budget. any input is definately appreciated. thanks in advance, Lou
Old 13th March 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
doodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to all

it might be a good time to have some port/polish work done on your heads since you're going to have them off anyway for the top end freshen up. then take better advantage of new flow with some hotter cams. unless of course that maxes out the budget !
Old 19th March 2012
Greasemonkey

hey fellas just wanted to throw up a couple pics of the bike. i got to work on it today for a few hours. last week i took the springer in to my friends shop and had it shortened. i kinda just half assed mocked it up on the bike to see what it looked like. i will be making some new rockers for it then i will be painting the springer to match the frame. i'll prolly have the springs and rockers chromed. next i made a set of bars for the bike, nothing fancy just plain with one simple bend in the tubing. i then started cutting up the fatbobs for this project. i will be running them separate one on each side of the backbone. here are today's pics check em out...............

Know Thy Hog