The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
gp9739 (70), danbango (67), andyman1958 (56), 55 Jr (53), Love2FixIt (45), keywan (43), C Dubya (40), CA71xlch (39)
Biltwell
Burly
Sky Smith Insurance
Burly

Progressive Suspension
Tags
88 cubic inch, performance, zippers

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

There is a potential problem with just using dyno charts to select cams for a street bike. Sometimes the cams that move the power to the left and still make great top end power have square lobes.
Old 20th March 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XT 350
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
flyboyJ has disabled reputation

Best of luck with your build. I went to Johnson Engine Technology for my 88 incher [johnsonenginetechnology.com] where everything was done 'in-house'; the case boring, the heads, WEGO, ignition set-up and final dyno tuning. I am more than satisfied with the increase in cubic inches.
As a comparison to the Zippers 'torque v. horsepower' charts, posted earlier in this thread, my bike makes 107/107. I wanted my torque to come on quickly and it does. I'm above 90 ft.lbs. from 2800 RPM to 6250 and 100 ft.lbs. + from 3250 to 5250.
It's lovely to simply crank the throttle for a bit of air time: a cafe racer that races.
Have fun.
Old 10th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 88" Zippers Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
1200Noctorum is an unknown quantity at this point

Well here is an update if anyone is still track this thread.
- Engine was shipped from Colonial HD 17 April to Zippers.
- Engine cams complete, working on heads now....so maybe another week before shipped.

I gave the Harley dealer my bike back in March and its been 2 months and still haven't seen much. The bike is just a frame right now.

I did spend a lot on additional accessories.
-RSD Clip ons
-LED Head Lamp in Black
-RSD Speedo relocator
-Front spoiler
-Badlander seat

Is this a normal waiting period on a turn around for such work???? I should note that I paid the shop up front so it's not a money problem.
Old 10th May 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
~Grind~ has disabled reputation

I Think it's more of a matter where you are in the queue. Best of luck with your build!!!
Old 10th May 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Vassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to all

My bike was at Zippers for almost 2 weeks getting some bugs worked out with the ThunderMax system, great group of guys and they really know what they are doing your motor is in good hands my man. Zippers HQ is only about 30 min from my house.
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th May 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

I don't think Zippers has his bike. Pretty sure his dealer is the one putting it togther.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 10th May 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Vassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to allVassago is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRHS Sales View Post
I don't think Zippers has his bike. Pretty sure his dealer is the one putting it togther.
I said his motor is in good hands not his bike, i said my bike was with them for two weeks.
Old 10th May 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

Okey dokey
Old 1st June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 88" Zippers Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
1200Noctorum is an unknown quantity at this point

Got the bike back today! And looks as good as it sounds! Colonial HD techs limited my rpm to 4500 so I don't destroy it the first 500 miles. Even at 4500 I'm doing 90 ft/lbs torque. So I'll just have to ride it for the next week or 2. I'll open it up when that time comes and report back
Old 1st June 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1212c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883 (TOTALLED)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
jumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of lightjumpsteady is a glorious beacon of light

4500 rpm sounds way to high for break in. I wouldn't turn it over 3400 myself.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2