The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Licks Cycles
NHRS Performance
Lowbrow Customs
Superbrace.com

Get Lowered
Tags
efi, efi sportster, fuel line, fuel tank

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
WV Nightster is on a distinguished roadWV Nightster is on a distinguished road

Great video. Makes it a little easier to know what to expect before you pull a tank the first time. Thanks.

WV
Old 19th March 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
gchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nicegchristopher9 is just really nice

One benefit of emptying the tank became apparent to me this weekend. While reassembling my bike, I went to reconnect the tank fitting. It must have been misaligned going in, and it immediately starting pissing gas all down the side of the motor. In my panic to stop the gas flow, I pushed the fitting in harder than I should have. This stopped the leak, but also destroyed an O-ring in the fitting in the process. Then when I turned the bike to "run" and the fuel pipe pressurized the line, I had fuel pissing all over my motor again. Fortunately I found the thread on here with the information for a replacement o-ring, instead of having to buy a whole new fitting from the stealer.
Old 19th March 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Sportster
Bigeeboo is just really niceBigeeboo is just really niceBigeeboo is just really niceBigeeboo is just really niceBigeeboo is just really niceBigeeboo is just really niceBigeeboo is just really niceBigeeboo is just really niceBigeeboo is just really niceBigeeboo is just really niceBigeeboo is just really nice

IMPORTANT!! - The Factory Service Manual is very clear about this! Gasoline can kill you. It is dangerous and explosive. After reading the manual, I'm pretty sure most people that do this will die. Please read your FSM for further important information.

most ppl that take the tank off will die? Im confused

thanks for the vids!
Old 19th March 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250-X
HandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud of

When pulling the fuel line to raise/remove the tank I use a short piece of 1/4" hose plugged on one end to cap it off. A shop rag will catch any initial dribble.

Old 19th March 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Sportster 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Vladek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for video and tips!

Old 19th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Nice tutorial Dan, great writeup! This will definitely help someone who has never removed the tank.
Old 19th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
Do you recommend emptying the tank? Curious how many people do that. And I wonder how they manage to do it safely with things commonly found around the house/garage.
You know Dan when I first took my tank off I thought about emptying it out...looked for a way to do around the house...then said screw it and just pulled it off. I've had it on and off a few dozen times now with never a problem. I am with you....the procedure is more dangerous than the benefit.

Another thing I forgot that I do is put a rag between the risers/handlebars and the gas tank when I am ready to remove it. For whatever reason my tank likes to stick a little and I just about smack the riser / stem bolt every time. I think I hit it once...and that was enough to learn not to do it again.

I'll still remove my negative battery cable whenever I pull the tank....just takes a drop of the screwdriver or ratchet or extension down by the starter to create a spark. But that is just me.

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 20th March 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 low
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
schwede is just really niceschwede is just really niceschwede is just really niceschwede is just really niceschwede is just really niceschwede is just really niceschwede is just really niceschwede is just really niceschwede is just really niceschwede is just really niceschwede is just really nice

Another good video.

Small tips, like the block of wood under the tank and Cosmo's tip of the rag
up around the riser stem bolt are things most people wouldn't think of the first go around.
And like most have said, draining the tank like the manual calls for is absurd.

Now, if you had just gotten around to a video on pulling the rear wheel before the first time I had to do it,
you would have saved me some cursing...

Again, good videos.
Schwede
Old 26th March 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Another tip I forgot about is I have had my fuel line quick disconnect freeze up making it difficult to push up in order to remove the fuel line. If you simply spin the quick disconnect outer ring around a few times it loosens up so you can push it up.
Old 29th March 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
southplatte is just really nicesouthplatte is just really nicesouthplatte is just really nicesouthplatte is just really nicesouthplatte is just really nicesouthplatte is just really nicesouthplatte is just really nicesouthplatte is just really nicesouthplatte is just really nicesouthplatte is just really nicesouthplatte is just really nice

Thanks for the awesome video Dan!

I am getting ready to do my coil/ign relo and wire tuck, so this made it look dang easy to get to all of it.