The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > BUELL MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Buell Motorcycle Air Intake, Carburetor/Fuel Injection, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Zanzibar, stvmike (60), Leroywulf (56), Erik (53), SoCal Harley (48), drew96 (36), Reverend_d (34)
DK Customs
RYCA Motors
Energy One Clutches
Foxcreek Leather

DK Customs
Tags
cv carb, low power, poping

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sporster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Davidson
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
Jeffk1200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation CV misery

I have a 2001 buell lighting x1 engine in a 1990 sportster frame. This engine in question has stock cams, ignition, valves all the internal engine is stock. I have the bike running and the it idles great. I have added a thunderslider kit to my cv carberator. I also installed the emulsion tube from the kit has more holes in it as well as a different size thread for the main jet. I have a 175 main and a 46 slow jet. I have issues witht the bike poping while I am riding it when the throttle is not turned. i also noticed if try to launch the bike from a stop it dies. Fires back up with no trouble and off i got. I changed the intake the seals to just be safe. Then propane checked them no issues found. I poured less than an ounce of oil into each cylinder to inspect for exhaust leaks. I found nothing. i have 2 inch drags open that i put bolts with nuts in for back pressure. I also checked to see the slider was opperating by blowing into the port the slider worked fine. I shimmed the needle so that it sits higher by one grove. I have also noticed once i get into a higher gear the bike acts as if it surges and has no power. I am at my wits end with this thing, I do not know what else i can try to get this thing running correctly. If any one has any suggestions i would be greatful as I am now missing the riding season cause of this bikes current isues.
Old 25th March 2012
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

You pinched the slide diaphragm
2006 Sportster XL1200C
Mikuni HSR 45
Jetted 27.5 slow,172.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Nomad Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC oil
Wix 57148 oil filter
Max Power, 79.17
Max Torque, 75.98
Old 25th March 2012
JESTER MAFIA WEST

rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

Also

I dont know how you check the slide by BLOWING on it ?

Pull the air cleaner and raise the slide with your finger and release it

If it slams shut its leaking

It should close quickly but should make a whooshing sound as it closes
Old 25th March 2012
Biker

I learned to check them blowing in to port on the aircleaner side of the intake that is the passage to the pressure chamber of the slide. As i blow into it the slide raises until i stop then it comes down promptly but not like it dropped. If you blow into it and the diaprham has been pinched or torn you will hear it, sounds kinda like a reed. The slide will do nothing
Old 25th March 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: White Hot Denim XR1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
KevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud of

+1 for what Rocketmangb said.

and also check the float level, accelerator pump membrane and fuel filter.
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th March 2012
Biker

I replaced the acc pump and checked it all good works great i turned the barrel towards the front cyclinder slightly nothing extreme. Float level is right at the service manuals recomndations for the cv. I also double checked the timming for good measure, the dot is right in the center of the window and showing up when it should.

By the way rocketmangb..........I love that bike very nice!
Old 25th March 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: White Hot Denim XR1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
KevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud ofKevinJ has much to be proud of

Just wondering, why did you take out the X1's EFI?
Old 25th March 2012
JESTER MAFIA WEST

So you are saying you are blowing in to the bowl vent on the AC face of the carb at 10 oclock ?
Old 25th March 2012
JESTER MAFIA WEST

Thanks for the complement !
Old 25th March 2012
Biker

I kinda really like the carbs always have it is more of a preferance for me. I was rasied s&s carbs. Found the cv and was instatly impressed wanted to build a sportster with a buell engine and incorperate the cv.

Rocketmangb... If you are looking into the carb witht the aircleaner off and usually the support plate at directly 12 oclock you see a port that goes form i would say 10 to 2. it is ovular shape follows the contour of the carb opening. If your diaphram is functioning properly if you blow air into that port it will pick up your slide. You might have to blow with some force depending on what spring tension you have in there.
Know Thy Hog