The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
Get Lowered
Fix My Hog

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: 2002 sporty heavy modded
timberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura about

ok after awhile i found one i could get a measurement on the rocker arm bushings and it was .556 for all of them and the rocker shaft is .5535 , so its a nice snug fit.I not sure if the book has specs for this or not i will have to look.I am so certian that the very poor job done on my heads ( i prob couldnt keep up to the fluid leaking out of valve on the first poor seat i fixed) (the last one that i got pic of leaking was the gd one) was the miss problem, but time will soon tell.

Checked it out and .0025 is max (am i readin this right? its a dam clymer). So remeasured, I may have been pressing a lil hard on the bushings and this time I get .555 regardless if i am reading this right I will have to replace these bushings and might just aswell get rocker arm shafts aswell.I hope you tell me i am reading this wrong.
Old 30th March 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjack View Post
ok after awhile i found one i could get a measurement on the rocker arm bushings and it was .556 for all of them and the rocker shaft is .5535 , so its a nice snug fit.I not sure if the book has specs for this or not i will have to look.I am so certian that the very poor job done on my heads ( i prob couldnt keep up to the fluid leaking out of valve on the first poor seat i fixed) (the last one that i got pic of leaking was the gd one) was the miss problem, but time will soon tell.

Checked it out and .0025 is max (am i readin this right? its a dam clymer). So remeasured, I may have been pressing a lil hard on the bushings and this time I get .555 regardless if i am reading this right I will have to replace these bushings and might just aswell get rocker arm shafts aswell.I hope you tell me i am reading this wrong.
I sure wouldn't mess with that. The worst loose rockers will do is make a little noise. Better a little loose than a little tight.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 30th March 2012
Chief Know It All

timberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura abouttimberjack has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Wedge, I was kinda wondering got to be the dam clymer!! ok they go back together then.
been cleaning in the garage man i let it get messy this time , just gettin a nice spot for the parts to sit and a spot for the motor to set on.just have to remove the primary cover and lift it out.Hittin town for a fred kodlin WG triple tree's i purchased for another project.when i come home i will clean and check the oil pump for wear i might aswell just picture this ordeal as i go to, it may help others someday.
Old 30th March 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

according to your measurements,you are within spec. you have 1-1/2,thousandths clearance,your allowed 2-1/2,thousandths,clearance.i,deleted the decimal points and zeros to make it easier to understand.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 31st March 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucstoudt View Post
according to your measurements,you are within spec. you have 1-1/2,thousandths clearance,your allowed 2-1/2,thousandths,clearance.i,deleted the decimal points and zeros to make it easier to understand.
Good catch, I didn't notice the second reading of .555
Know Thy Hog

Old 31st March 2012

brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

thanks,but even the extra .001,would have put right at the limit.
Old 31st March 2012
Chief Know It All

Yes my first measurement was on the line the second is .005 room for more wear thats not much can someone check there hd manual and see what the max celarance is on these ?is the clymer wrong or is it really .0025?
Old 31st March 2012

my 1957-69 h-d fsm,says .0005-.002. fit in bushing.the newer manual probably gives the extra 1/2,thousandth clymer is stating.rocker arm shafts changed in 1971. [your still within specs.] .0025,is 2-1/2,thousandths.in simple terms.
Old 31st March 2012
Chief Know It All

ok, i will live with it for now..sorry for delay was cleaning and found some beer thought it may go bad so i cleaned it up to..back shortly with oil pump findings.

Actually i was bieng a detective and workin on a case LOL!!!

Well with certain trouble to be uncovered soon here is a pic of whats to come.

Will i get that s&s? hmm will i use y grinds? soon see...
Old 31st March 2012
Chief Know It All

oh boy!!! lol.

I will start to split stuff after i go to town for more brak kleen and BEER i am gonna have some sorrows to drown...lol
Know Thy Hog