The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
CV Performance
Sky Smith Insurance
NRHS Performance Long 2
Get Lowered

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
hedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enough
Default Gas tank coating

I am finishing a winter, and half the riding season of spring, refurbing my 2000 XL1200C. I was a new owner when I got this and figured, for the low price I might as well learn everything I can by taking it apart and putting it back together.

I'm at a standstill now. Everything is done but the gas tank. I took off the petcock and there were grey flakes in the filter. I researched and found this to be harleys answer to tank coating. I bought some chain, acetone, gunk degreaser and redkote to do this project. I was thinking of doing a write-up here, but a failed attempt shouldn't be passed on. After 12 hours of chaining, acetone soaking, and flushing with the hose for hours, I am still getting chunks of paint coming out and when I look in the tank there is bubbled paint on multple surfaces.

My right arm has since cramped beyond use from all the shaking of this tank with chains in it, but there are spots that won't come off. Anyone have an idea or tip to make sure I'm not recoating the tank again next year.

Thanks

Jer
Old 9th April 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250-X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
HandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud ofHandOverFist has much to be proud of

You will likely not get it all off, but the Red-Kote will seal it anyway...good stuff.
Old 9th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
breese is on a distinguished roadbreese is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem on my 99.... I am interested to hear how people are fixing this and how long these fixes will last.... I dont want to reseal my tank more then once....
Old 9th April 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
SuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to all

Maybe using some aircraft grade paint stripper? I haven't used it myself on the inside of a tank but I've used on wheels, car fenders and things. Stuff is great. Its suppose to be brushed on but I'm sure you can figure out how to get it in the tank. Here's the brand/can I used http://www.zorotools.com/g/00060685/k-G3115384?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gc lid=CPzeucSbqK8CFWcZQgod_wohWQ

If you're really concerned about it, maybe a new tank is in order.
I'm training for and running the 2013 Marine Corps Marathon for the Semper Fi Fund to honor the Fallen Marines and Corpsmen of 1st Battalion 7th Marines "Suicide" Charley Company from the past 20 yrs.

Old 9th April 2012
Biker

hedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enough

I went to google to research redkote. First hit is redkote's PDF instructions. Later on down the page it says that some harleys came with this grey paint that can be near impossible to get off. Then, it says if you cannot get it all off, "give us a call".

I just got off the phone with Damon brands, the maker of Redkote. They said that there are three ways to get this stuff off. One; buy aircraft paint stripper from the local auto parts store and soak per directions. Two; put chains, screws, sharp rocks, whatever you can find, in the tank, then attach it to a tractor tire and roll that sucker around for about four hours. Three; Cut it and sandblast.

I am going to try the aircraft paing remover today after work. Thats the only feasable option for me. I won't put a bunch of foreign objects in a 2.2gal peanut tank either. How the F would I get it all back out (with harley's dumbass placement of the petcock on the peanut tanks). Chains are easy. Screws and rocks? No way. I also won't cut and sandblast because I don't want to weld a gas tank. So aircraft grade remover is the next step. I will update with the results.

Jer
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th April 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
SuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to allSuicideCharley is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedimitrius View Post
So aircraft grade remover is the next step. I will update with the results.

Jer
There's your article right there....add pics of the process. I'm sure it will help the next person. Hope it works out!
Old 9th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Muriatic acid works. You dilute it at a ratio of about 4 parts water one part acid. Let it sit for a few hours and then drain. May have to repeat once or twice.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
58mm Inverted Wide Glide Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Six Piston Jaybrake Calipers
16" Carlini Apes
Old 10th April 2012
Biker

Just finished stripping with aircraft stripper then tossing it with a chain, then another flush and acetone soak. Despite my best efforts there are still flakes clutching on. Tomorrow I will get more chains and try the muriatic acid. Will update, but there is not a lot to take pics of...you really can't see in there but maybe ill get creative.

Jer
Old 10th April 2012
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future

a big handful of self tapping lag bolts works good...... the chain has too many round edges to do a good job.... all the edges on the screws works faster......getting them all out is not that big a deal....no worries

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 10th April 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: HONDA CB550 Cafe Racer
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Groovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really niceGroovie Ghoulie is just really nice

I just did a tank actually, i filled it to the brim with methyl ethyl keytone. let it sit in the sun for about a day, took ALL the sealer off. them I used POR-15 sealant kit to fix it. I was gonna do a full write up on some of the tanks I have done. these were rusty old tanks from the 70's full of that crap sealant kreem.

POR-15 is amazing stuff by the way

2009 XL1200N, V&H SS, Licks 30'' Drags, SE Heavy Breather, Bar-end Mirrors, PCV, Licks 2'' Tank Lift, HD Forward Controls, Wire tuck, Speedo Relocated.
Know Thy Hog