The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Progressive Suspension
RYCA Motors
Energy One Clutches
Speedway Instruments

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Chicago Nick has disabled reputation
Default Jacking up your bike

I just bought a bile lift/jack from Pepboys (on sale for $50 after rebate). When I tried to jack it up, it was real wobbly and it was tough to get the front tire off the ground very high. When I tried to tie it down it made it even more unstable. I cant get the jack that far forward due to the jiffy stand. Anyone have an idea how to get it in the air and stable. Basically does anyone have some instructiosn for me so I dont end up with smashed up bike. Thanks for the help, Nick

By the way, the jack is real nice for the price. I priced it on the net and most places sold it for $140 plus, so $50 is a steal.
Old 4th October 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
daesdaemar is on a distinguished roaddaesdaemar is on a distinguished roaddaesdaemar is on a distinguished road

there have been several threads covering this issue. Do a search and you should get lots of good info...
Old 4th October 2005
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nick I have that same jack. Torin I think it is. I had a difficult time at first too, but you'll get used to using it. One thing that somebody here tipped me off about is, that there is a loop of metal that gets in the way of the kickstand big time when you slide the jack under the bike. All I did was take a bf hammer and smash off the piece and voila. Nice jack for not alot of money. To make things easier I also get down on my knees when I put the jack under the bike so I can see exactly where it's going to rest. I always tie it down just to be safe.

edit: ah, here's the thread I started back in March about the jack: http://www.xlforum.net/forums/showth...ight=boys+jack

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Last edited by xena; 4th October 2005 at 21:42..
Old 4th October 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

Here is what I did:

Get yourself a piece of 1" X 6" wood (that's 1" thick and 6" wide). Cut the length of it to just fit between the arms of the jack. Cut a small section out of the wood in the upper right hand corner to make room for the jiffy stand when you slide the jack under the frame.

It will bring the bike up real nice if you center those cross braces that are under the frame with the center of the jack arms.

I still use a tie-down strap to help stabilize the bike and keep it from rocking fore and aft.

Ron,

NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Thunderstorm Pistons / Zipper's 567 Cams / Mikuni HSR42 Carb
RevTech Roller Rockers / Andrews Adj. Pushrods / RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust / Twin Tec TC88A Ignition
Old 4th October 2005

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

The above picture is the outline of the piece of wood.

It's supposed to look blank inside .... just an outline I drew.
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th October 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Chicago Nick has disabled reputation

Thanks alot everyone, I think I'll take the double approach and knock that piece of and get the wood.
Old 4th October 2005

Here ya go with an actual pic .... very simple

Old 4th October 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Moker has disabled reputation

thx turbota

mighty dirty garage floor you got
Old 4th October 2005

Got that right
Old 4th October 2005
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
debster is a name known to alldebster is a name known to alldebster is a name known to alldebster is a name known to alldebster is a name known to alldebster is a name known to alldebster is a name known to alldebster is a name known to alldebster is a name known to alldebster is a name known to alldebster is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbota
Here ya go with an actual pic .... very simple

Whoever said a picture is worth a thousand words sure knew what they were talkin' about! Nice pic, Turbota. Thanks.

RIP MrJimi... miss you.

2000 XLH 883 Hugger
Know Thy Hog