The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Zippers Performance
Motor Stage
Lickscycles

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2012
Turbo Mafia Test Rider

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250NT LSR #1171
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200RT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Nytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to behold
Default Hellcat Hellraiser install

I received my custom turbo kit from Jason Sarratt at Hellcat Customs today!

So to begin, my install is a bit different from HandOverFist's. Mine was a 1200, now it has a 1250 kit from NRHS using dished forged pistons for a lower CR which will allow for running more boost. Also, Jason did a little 'secret sauce' routine on the heads and intake. Still running stock cams, lifters and valves, but now it has new Cometic valve guide seals as the stock ones were leaking.

I really had hoped to finish the install this evening, but had a crappy night and am very tired, so I'm going to finish up tomorrow evening. So far, this is what I've accomplished:

I had received the heads, intake and cam cover last week, so they are already installed and the engine is all ready for the turbo kit:

I'm not crazy, I'm sanity challenged.

Please support my rookie Bonneville attempt!
http://www.gofundme.com/AsotinLandSpeedRacer
The Last Truly Amateur American Racing!
Old 11th April 2012
Turbo Mafia Test Rider

Nytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to beholdNytstr is a splendid one to behold

Unpacked the box to reveal the goodies inside:

Old 11th April 2012
Turbo Mafia Test Rider

First, the intake support bracket is mounted using the screw provided, and breather bolts are put in just finger tight at first. Then the screw is torqued down, and the rear breather bolt is also tightened. (Sorry, Jason, I just had to use my fancy breather bolts - but they're plugged because I did the Deimus breather mod):

Old 11th April 2012
Turbo Mafia Test Rider

Next, the dump pipe with support bracket is temporarily bolted up to the turbo housing:

Old 11th April 2012
Turbo Mafia Test Rider

After positioning the turbo with attached dump pipe, it is held on using the front breather bolt. The plenum is attached to the intake using a standard intake gasket, after slipping the silicone intake hose onto the cool side of the turbo. Oil lines are also routed and attached:

Know Thy Hog

Old 11th April 2012
Turbo Mafia Test Rider

Next I snugged up the oil lines, clamped the silicone hose, put on the plenum cover and am now ready to remove the dump pipe, leaving the turbo hanging from the hose so the exhaust header can be installed tomorrow:

So far I've got 1 hour total invested, and the only issue was the small oil line fitting - the J-B Kwik didn't set up, so I removed it and cleaned it up and reinstalled it with some red loctite. Might have to go back and use some fresh J-B so it isn't facing forward.
Old 11th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XL Sidecar
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

Making progress.... Can't wait to see what a 1250 can do now
Old 11th April 2012
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
DK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to beholdDK Custom is a splendid one to behold

Very cool...gonna be watching this.
Old 11th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Looking good so far Nytstr - we'll be waiting for an update!
Old 11th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Do you drill and tap into the oil galleries along the top of the cam cover to get an oil feed to the turbo? If so, then surely it takes more than an hour to reach the stage you're at, as you wouldn't drill and tap the cover in situ. Would you??!!
Know Thy Hog