The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches
NRHS
Energy One Clutches

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp Roadster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
tmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to all

Well, what tank you use is more about what type of riding you're going to be doing. I like the look of the peanut tank but my OEM Peanut is only 2.25 gallons. So, I got a Porkster tank off ebay cheap ($135 with a Pingel installed and a nice paint job that had some small nicks) (I got a pict of each on the bike in my gallery).

So, around town or a short ride to some kind of event I use the OEM peanut. But for longer rides I throw the Porkster on. 4.5 Gallons (one of which is RES) at 45 to 50 mpg is a long way between fill-up's.

NOTE: project in the works is taking a Smooth King tank (curved bottom) and widening it 2 inches.
1986 XLH 1100 (fixer-upper) // Engineers design things, Technicians make them work. --- 30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck .
Old 11th April 2012
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant futureBWP 5p has a brilliant future

Stuff: YES
Old 11th April 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

i dont know about the small tanks they look good but i'd rather be on the road hammering down on the throttle instead of being in the gas station filling it up but like wedge said thats just my opinion and everyone got one
Old 12th April 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP 5p View Post
That's cool an all, but what does it look like ON a sportster? Or should that go in the "this is gonna hurt" thread?

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 12th April 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster05 View Post
i dont know about the small tanks they look good but i'd rather be on the road hammering down on the throttle instead of being in the gas station filling it up but like wedge said thats just my opinion and everyone got one
I used to completely agree with that, but as I got older it seems like stopping at the 100 mile mark (even just to fill the tank) is what it takes to let my old ass take the next 100 miles. So now I got the "style" and the quality standing time. Can't beat that in what's left of this lifetime.
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th April 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
I used to completely agree with that, but as I got older it seems like stopping at the 100 mile mark (even just to fill the tank) is what it takes to let my old ass take the next 100 miles. So now I got the "style" and the quality standing time. Can't beat that in what's left of this lifetime.
i hear that im only 36 i got a little while before my bones start taking there toll on me
Old 12th April 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

The tank decision should be based on the use of your scoot. Is it a bar hopper or a road scoot? If it's only a bar hopper then the 2.2 is the way to go. But if it's a rider then a larger tank would be better.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 13th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
hedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enough

Lotta good opinions. I was looking for something I didn't have to fill up as often and with a higher tunnel it would narrow a bit of the gap above the motor. I loved my peanut tank too...

before I put a dent in it during the winter clean up...
Now I'm relegated to taking what I can find at the swap meet. Has anyone else put a different tank on their sportster?
Old 13th April 2012
Veteran Bubblehead

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
baka1969 has much to be proud ofbaka1969 has much to be proud ofbaka1969 has much to be proud ofbaka1969 has much to be proud ofbaka1969 has much to be proud ofbaka1969 has much to be proud ofbaka1969 has much to be proud ofbaka1969 has much to be proud ofbaka1969 has much to be proud ofbaka1969 has much to be proud ofbaka1969 has much to be proud of

I actually like the 3.3gal Peanut tank best. I was at the dealer today and got to see the 2.2 gal Peanut on the '72 and 48, the 3.3 Peanut on the Iron and Nighster and the 4.5 one the Superlow all together. They all look nice. The 4.5 is the most practical, the 2.2, to me, does look a bit small. But I believe the 3.3 is just the best looking of the bunch. Plus you can easily go 125 miles between fills. That's better than the 80-90 miles on the 2.2.

May the number of surfaces exceed the number of dives by at least one
Old 13th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
hedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enoughhedimitrius will become famous soon enough

How about swap meet experiences? Anyone have a story to tell about what they have gotten or sold at swap meets? I've never been to a motorcycle swap meet and it would be nice to know a bit of what to expect.
Know Thy Hog