The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
motobraz, dwr302, xlchjoe (60), rider31 (54), Viper (42), KJcrownRRdriver (42), krafty (38), EezyE (37), SmokeyXL (34)
NRHS Performance Long 2
Licks Cycles
Get Lowered
DK Customs

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1993 triumph speed trip.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 'ped
Other Motorcycle Model: VW Bug
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
sid-eco will become famous soon enoughsid-eco will become famous soon enoughsid-eco will become famous soon enoughsid-eco will become famous soon enoughsid-eco will become famous soon enoughsid-eco will become famous soon enough

I came to my spurtster from a speed triple, an' t.b.h. it felt like a moped for a while .. i checked out the 1200 upgrade choices, but in the end i've left it as an 883. You get used to it, and they balance the available power nicely with the chassis (esp. off-road !!). Ooh, and i've only got four speeds to play with, so i think that somehow makes it easier to live without tyre-shreading performance. Don't get me wrong, i rarely ride like my grandad; your sporty'll like being caned through the gears whether 883 or 1200/1215.

You jus' need to re-calibrate your brain to accommodate the difference in performance, The weight difference from a sportsbike is a welcome relief, and as the other posters have already testified, it'll cruise happily at eighty, with just enough left to get you outta car-trouble.

Here in the UK, we all seem to have been raised in the 'bigger is better' mindset, maybe 'cause the manufacturers want us to keep chasing our next groove-sickle, maybe 'cause we're all insecure about the length of our trouser snakes ??

If it doesn't work out for you, 'cause the brand image is soooo strong, the residual is amazing; you might even make a small profit if you decide to sell ..

Dude, buy one, you'll not regret it
Old 12th April 2012
Quadcam girlybike racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL "NHRS 1250" R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda vf750c
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
sep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of light

When my bike still was 883 there was nothing really wrong with it.
It took me to about 100 m/h and I enjoyed riding it a lot.
Even just before I ordered my 1250 kit I thought there was no real need to do a conversion.
In the end I did it anyway because I wanted to learn to wrench and I did a course for that. I saw there that i could do a conversion myself if I wanted to and decided to do it for the learning experience and just for fun to check out how much more performance i could get out of my bike.
So I can understand totally that an 883 can be everything you want from a bike just like it was to me.
Just get one and enjoy it
Old 12th April 2012
Rider Of Motorcycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L/1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Baphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond reputeBaphomet has a reputation beyond repute

Find a way to test ride them both before you buy.
Old 12th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm an old geezer and can remember when the Sportster was a youngin' (yeah, you know, those ironheads). But, I don't ever remember anyone thinking it was too small for anything.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 12th April 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I've never ridden a 883
Test ride one at your dealer.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Hashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the rough

My first Harley is my 883 and, like everyone has said, it will spend all day at 80mph without a fuss and has plenty of grunt to get out of its own way. You can't beat the mileage either. I plan a 1250 upgrade in the future, but it isn't high on the priorities list because the 883 is quite capable. Hope you find what you are looking for!
Old 12th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
iron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to behold

I love my 883. Plenty fast and strong enough for me. I'm 5'9" and 200lbs. I ride two up with the wifey from time to time and still feel like I have enough juice. Like others have stated, I will eventually do the 1250 conversion for no other reason than I simply can. And like some have said, ride both. Go to a dealer and ride an 883, see how it feels to you. I have a feeling you will like it, and if you don't, get a 1200. Either way you go you're still on a Sporty! Just keep rubber side down and ride the hell out of it!
Old 12th April 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Flyrite Rigid completed?
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
indyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the rough

I've ridden mine across country twice and do not feel I need any more than 883.
Then again I'm rigid and less than 2" off the ground
Old 12th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Trac Dynamics / Razor,
tracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the rough

I bought mine as a spare from a friend that was in financial trouble back in 92, it is a 1986. first thing i thought of was upgrade, but never did it. Why? it was fast as hell and kicked ass. a lot of fun to ride. close ratio gears. It looks like a mini bike under me 6'1'' 220 but it gets the job done. I have been asked "whats in it"? Nothing i say,.. it's the rider.
It even gets to run ET at the All Harley drags at bike week,...I brought it as a spare bike for friend and decided to run it.
Old 12th April 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
redi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud of

NOPE.... Go 1200... then go 1250...If your money comes like mine this should take you years. then you'll be ready for a BT(sofa on wheels)