The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
sportxlh, willprevale (73), eagle (68), Willard (66), arby (63), XLC Curt (61), Boricuaurfer64 (50), zook1065 (47), Foxdud (46), stg (45), skeeter_xb (43), mountainman
Burly
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
Lickscycles

Zippers Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
PiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi2ride View Post
NOPE.... Go 1200... then go 1250...If your money comes like mine this should take you years. then you'll be ready for a BT(sofa on wheels)
I cant imagine wasting the money on a 1200 only to bump it to 1250. Does not compute.
Old 12th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: ironhead 1972
crawford23 has a spectacular aura aboutcrawford23 has a spectacular aura aboutcrawford23 has a spectacular aura aboutcrawford23 has a spectacular aura aboutcrawford23 has a spectacular aura aboutcrawford23 has a spectacular aura aboutcrawford23 has a spectacular aura aboutcrawford23 has a spectacular aura aboutcrawford23 has a spectacular aura aboutcrawford23 has a spectacular aura aboutcrawford23 has a spectacular aura about

ive got the 900 cc iron head, its awesome , im in another world when im riding her , she could be any cc.
Old 12th April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant future

I owned a ZZR1200 before my converted 1200. I rode a new 883 Low and it got around, but was no way comparable to that rocket. I kept looking for a pre-2004 883 to buy/convert, and found this converted '96. The point is this, a new 883 can be uninspiring depending on whatever you are used to. A 883 with the "taxes paid" will pick up close to 10 HP, over plain stock and have more low end torque. I wonder what you would pick up with some cams & head work.
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.

Last edited by sportysrock; 25th April 2012 at 01:41..
Old 14th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Motorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura about

My 883 was fine until I carried a pax then I needed more power in the end I found I needed no pax and made it a solo

I payed the harley tax for about 50 Hp as a 883 and my BT buddies left me in the dust

with the Wiesco plan I'm getting closer to 70 Hp as a 1200cc

BUT! I found my pleasure in it as a solo, Now as a solo and 1200cc my big twin Buds can't lose me and in mountain rodes I leave them

I found the Sportster a poor choice to travel BUT I keep expermenting to find a way to travel
Old 15th April 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp Roadster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
tmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to all

So..... the big question ZAKK is what size and what have you done to that '72 Sportster you list in your profile???

The big question that others have stated also is..... what type of rider are you?? Easy going, then an 883 might be fine. If you like to play around every once and a while, then a 883 might not be best choice.

Me, I get the need to play every once and a while.

For reference, My last bike was a Suzuki LS650 (big single cylinder 650cc "thumper") (a.k.a. Savage or S40). With a freer breathing exhaust and rejetting to Un-EPA it, it could walk away from an 883 until about 50 to 60 mph, where the 883's could finally get their legs and catch up. My 1100 on the other hand has way more balls. If I control myself and ride easy I can get 40 mpg city and 50+ mpg highway, but........ if I want to play
1986 XLH 1100 (fixer-upper) // Engineers design things, Technicians make them work. --- 30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck .
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th April 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
zakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to beholdzakk1775 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack-1 View Post
So..... the big question ZAKK is what size and what have you done to that '72 Sportster you list in your profile???

The big question that others have stated also is..... what type of rider are you?? Easy going, then an 883 might be fine. If you like to play around every once and a while, then a 883 might not be best choice.

Me, I get the need to play every once and a while.

For reference, My last bike was a Suzuki LS650 (big single cylinder 650cc "thumper") (a.k.a. Savage or S40). With a freer breathing exhaust and rejetting to Un-EPA it, it could walk away from an 883 until about 50 to 60 mph, where the 883's could finally get their legs and catch up. My 1100 on the other hand has way more balls. If I control myself and ride easy I can get 40 mpg city and 50+ mpg highway, but........ if I want to play
I still have the 72. Its been giving me some problem lately but theyre getting worked out. I think I'm gonna go with the 883 and if I feel the need for more Ill put the conversion kit on it, price wise that seems to make sense.
Old 15th April 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: One Off
Sportster/Buell Year: '95
Other Motorcycle Model: Electra Glide Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: '03
Johnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Wolf is a splendid one to behold

I haven't pulled the trigger on jug augmentation....yet. Still sporting 883cc's since '07. I'll eventually do it.
Old 15th April 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

if you are working your way up the CC scale, then an 883 will do just fine (as the others have said) 883 is basically the same as the old 900's a small lightweight bike with tons of punch.

but if your coming down the CC scale, you'll never he happy with an 883 til ya pop on the big swing kits.

in the 60's all ya could get from harley was a 900 sporty, or a 1200 bigtwin. now ya got that same choice wit just the sportster. and the bigtwinkies just get the 88"er
harleys are NOT speed demons, not even the "sport" bike. there are 250cc bikes out there that will run circles around a stock twinkie

I, myself, would be happy with a good running 883. but when it started giving me trouble, I'd jump on the conversion in a heartbeat.... there is no replacement for displacement....
thank god for darwin ;)
Old 18th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Shovelhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
tat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enoughtat2d2dope will become famous soon enough

i have a 2000 883, a 1999 1200 and a 76 FXE shovel
the 883 is the slowest of all my bikes,
it's the slowest off the line and through the entire range.
the 1200 it the fastest off the line and every where else.
my 1200 will lift the front wheel in 1st and 2nd
and it's bone stock, my 883 is stock and will lift in 1st if i rev and clutch it.
my shovel will lift pretty easy in 1st but it's not stock.
go for the 1200 they are way more power, and why buy a bike and have to do the 1200
kit right away get the 1200 and ride.

SOLD for 76 shovelhead and $5000
Old 18th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XL250R
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
bklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to beholdbklyngeezer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead45 View Post
if you are working your way up the CC scale, then an 883 will do just fine (as the others have said) 883 is basically the same as the old 900's a small lightweight bike with tons of punch.

but if your coming down the CC scale, you'll never he happy with an 883 til ya pop on the big swing kits.

in the 60's all ya could get from harley was a 900 sporty, or a 1200 bigtwin. now ya got that same choice wit just the sportster. and the bigtwinkies just get the 88"er
harleys are NOT speed demons, not even the "sport" bike. there are 250cc bikes out there that will run circles around a stock twinkie

I, myself, would be happy with a good running 883. but when it started giving me trouble, I'd jump on the conversion in a heartbeat.... there is no replacement for displacement....

2003 XLH 883H
1984 Honda XL350R
1987 Honda XL250R
"Only the dead know Brooklyn"- Thomas Wolfe
http://backwoodsrambling.blogspot.com
Know Thy Hog