The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Lickscycles
Dead Creek Cycles
Foxcreek Leather
Foxcreek Leather

S&S Cycle

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Springman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Low fuel indicator adjustment?

Recently, I swapped the 2.1 Peanut on my 2011 Forty-Eight for a 4.5 gallon tank. I like the tank; but, the lo fuel light comes on at approximately 120 miles and that given me about 70 more to find gas.......think it might need a tweek - if possible? Anyone know if it can, and how?

Springman
Grafton, Ohio
Old 19th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Softail Springer
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
grimreapers is an unknown quantity at this point

Had the exact same problem with my 4.5 gal tank on my 1200C. The only thing that i could find to fix it was by buying the HD fuel gauge for the sporty. It works perfectly it actually tells me how much gas is left.
Old 19th April 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
xlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreapers View Post
Had the exact same problem with my 4.5 gal tank on my 1200C. The only thing that i could find to fix it was by buying the HD fuel gauge for the sporty. It works perfectly it actually tells me how much gas is left.
So true, mine does the same thing, I finally got used to it. I guess it's better than running out in the middle of no where.
Old 29th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Crazymike187 is a jewel in the roughCrazymike187 is a jewel in the roughCrazymike187 is a jewel in the roughCrazymike187 is a jewel in the roughCrazymike187 is a jewel in the roughCrazymike187 is a jewel in the roughCrazymike187 is a jewel in the roughCrazymike187 is a jewel in the roughCrazymike187 is a jewel in the roughCrazymike187 is a jewel in the roughCrazymike187 is a jewel in the rough

I know this is an week old post but my 1200r low fuel warning light comes on around 76 miles and this is using the 3.3 gal peanut tank. The thing is I don't know how far can I go before i am completely out of gas. The highest I have gone was 80 miles.
Old 30th April 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Charlie-D is just really niceCharlie-D is just really niceCharlie-D is just really niceCharlie-D is just really niceCharlie-D is just really niceCharlie-D is just really niceCharlie-D is just really niceCharlie-D is just really niceCharlie-D is just really niceCharlie-D is just really niceCharlie-D is just really nice

on my iron 883 I've went 110 miles on a tank with the light on at 60 miles (peanut tank). I usually fill between 80-90 though just in case.

Old 30th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C (Gone)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FJR1300A
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
Teehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant future

My 4.5 comes on around 120 miles... that's okay with me.
Old 30th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
ccreyeder is just really niceccreyeder is just really niceccreyeder is just really niceccreyeder is just really niceccreyeder is just really niceccreyeder is just really niceccreyeder is just really niceccreyeder is just really niceccreyeder is just really niceccreyeder is just really niceccreyeder is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springman View Post
Recently, I swapped the 2.1 Peanut on my 2011 Forty-Eight for a 4.5 gallon tank. I like the tank; but, the lo fuel light comes on at approximately 120 miles and that given me about 70 more to find gas.......think it might need a tweek - if possible? Anyone know if it can, and how?

Springman
Do you have a pic of your bike with the new tank? Did you have to make any mods to get it to fit? I like my 2.1 gal tank, but it sure empties quickly lol
Old 30th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
hfp3030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-D View Post
on my iron 883 I've went 110 miles on a tank with the light on at 60 miles (peanut tank). I usually fill between 80-90 though just in case.
On my iron 883 I can go 120 miles before having to fill up, the light comes on between 80-90 and by the time I fill up I still have over half a gallon left.. I'm still running with the stock air breather, so I don't know if things will change after upgrading that.
Old 30th April 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: H-D sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
red sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of light

i complaned about mine coming on like that (varies) after i bought it, they replaced the fuel pump, that where the indicator is. didn't make any differents. still various. other have have same problem. hope some one come up with a solution.