The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
ziggyhd1 (56), greven (54)
Speedway Instruments
Motor Stage
Progressive Suspension
Energy One Clutches

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
oO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the rough
Default Jam nuts, spacers, wide glide...

I've owned my bike close to two years now. Really started riding a lot more as of late on these torn up Oklahoma streets and crazy unpredictable Oklahoma winds. When I bought my Sportster from Paris Harley, I was thrilled to see it had a WG front end. It was cool to have a bike with a bit of uniqueness to it. Granted it had ugly buck horns, stock everything else and Live to Ride crap ALL OVER IT. I didn't care, it was my first Harley. One of my dreams. I had always wanted a Sportster. Little by little I have made it my own. Continuing to do more as I still have Bucks to replace, exhaust and air cleaner...but I'm getting there.

To get to my point. Yesterday, I rode to work. At break I was outside doing a bit of polishing, when I notice one of my brake light screws missing. No big deal. Then as I'm polishing the front fender, I notice something else missing. A bolt, a FREAKING STOVE BOLT. Stove bolt? How did I not see that before. Um, because it wasn't broke. Apparently the PO just used these, jam nuts as spacers and a castle nut to hold it all together.

I spent some time on the conventional lathe with some 316 stainless, polished it up, and put some good bolts on there.

Much better.

Unfortunately, the jam nuts dug into my paint and were a beast to get off of there.
Old 25th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant futureChinCactus has a brilliant future

That looks much better now.

Try putting some stainless washers between your new spacers and the fender to cover up where the old bolts dug into the paint.

I recently got my hands on a table top lathe. I'm just beginning to realize what a useful tool it is!

BTW, I just looked at your gallery pics. Bike looks dam good with the WG front end!
Old 25th April 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
oO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the roughoO VEGGIE Oo is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the compliment man. Would however like to put a fat boy bucket on there. Think it will look better. I've got to hide the wiring too. Hangs down below the neck right now.