The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Speedway Instruments
Superbrace.com

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Forty Eight
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
memikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nice
Default 4.5 gallon tank swap on 2011 Sportster 48

any advice from someone who has done this particular swap? From what I understand it's just a straight swap........my tank arrives later today....

Last edited by Folkie; 10th May 2012 at 22:14.. Reason: Improved layout to reduce width
Old 4th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
FiremanTx is an unknown quantity at this point

this might help

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1415916
Old 4th May 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanTx View Post
+1 - that should be all you need. Switch fuel pump and lines to new tank and remount.
Old 4th May 2012
Knows a thing or two

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud of
Arrow A few tips...

I swapped the 3.3g on my '06 for the 4.5g.
It was an easy bolt on.
I had to modify my OEM seat cos the 4.5 is longer, but you may be OK what with that gap already there.
Here are a few DIY tips re the swap procedure (some of the technical details may be different on your '11; read your Service Manual):

a) Empty the peanut before you remove it! Many XL owners have had a tank with gas sloshing around in it tumble out of their grasp and hit the shop floor like a hard-boiled egg

b) Mind the hoses attached to the underside of the tank:
> the fuel line emerging from the petcock
> the vent (overflow) hose
> the nasty vapors hose

c) You'll prolly move your old petcock to the new tank. Take advantage of this opportunity to clean the filter before re-installing petcock.

d) Your new tank will ride lower than your peanut, so accessing wiring and hoses underneath the tank will be more difficult.

e) Take your time installing the 4.5. Those 'ears' holding the front in place can be a bit of a hassle. Patience. You may have to try several times before it goes on correctly.

f) Remember to reconnect all those hoses! Count them to be sure. If you overlook the vapor hose your engine will run crappy.

g) CHECK FOR LEAKS! Any hint of gas escaping? You don't want that.
When you restart, listen for air leaks. Remember to open the petcock valve. Oh, and remember to put some gas in the tank. Don't laugh--people have done this, then start thinking their ignition needs work.

h) What plans do you have for that tiny old tank?
Wiseco K1655s; Joker Machine AC; SE 'SP' muffs w/ Cycle Shack baffles; OEM SHOCKS on Tamarack -1" blocks; Metz 880s (110x19; 160x15) on laced wheels; Progressive fork springs; 4.5 gal tank; ReddTigger Mod Gauge Mount System...

See thread http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1102057 for a "pictorial history".
Old 5th May 2012
Battleship Sailor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
lostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant future

The stock 48 seat is designed for the 4.5 gal tank spacing. If your seat is not designed for the 4.5 gal tank, you may not have enough room in there. The vent hose on the 2.1 connects in a different spot than the 3.3 or the 4.5 so it may require a bit of cutting to work right.

Nothing against the previous post but a lot of that doesn't apply to EFI. There is no vapor hose nor is there a petcock. There is a push-to-connect style fuel quick disconnection joint and there is an electrical plug for the fuel sending unit. I haven't watched the video by screw loose dan but I would be willing to bet that it is all covered. Also, the tunnel in my 2.1 is much deeper than on my 3.3 so the larger capacity tank actually sits higher on the spine. Never mocked up a 4.5 on it though so I can't compare that.

Some people (like the OEM) recommend always replacing the fuel sending unit gasket. I didn't and it works fine so far.

Once you get everything bolted back on, slowly and carefully move the handlebars from lock to lock and make sure you're not hitting the tank with the mirrors.

That's all I can think of for now.

Old 5th May 2012
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

If you didn't already swap the tanks over, it should be fairly straight forward. Only two things I can think of might be the vent hose mentioned by lostNdallas and the seat if you don't have the original. Off the top of my head, I believe the fuel line for the larger tanks is actually a different part number, but I know plenty of folks have swapped tanks without any issue using their original fuel line.

FYI, below are pictures are what the tank looks like with the fuel pump removed and a separate picture of the fuel pump.

(that green bit around the bottom is the gasket lostNdallas mentions.)

Old 5th May 2012
Biker

memikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nicememikeni is just really nice
Default swap has been done......

thanks for all the advice.........
Old 5th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
FiremanTx is an unknown quantity at this point

looks sharp, came out nice!
Old 5th May 2012
Battleship Sailor

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
lostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant futurelostNdallas has a brilliant future

Nice. It's amazing how a tank can completely change the look. I guess I was worrying about mirror strikes for nothing.
Old 5th May 2012
Biker

Know Thy Hog