The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
BIKE BUILDER
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 81
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLH/XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki 550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
joshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nice

Well I had a rubber o ring and a brass crush washer on it, they got intertwined somehow and caused my leak. Drained and took off the washer, now it's looking really good. I also put some thread sealant from autozone on the threads.
Old 11th May 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: AMF XLS Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
MN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of lightMN Mailman is a glorious beacon of light

I don't see the necessity for a torque spec. on this bolt. Kind of like torque specs on plugs........

Just make it snug. I just take a wrench and instead of gripping it at the end as usual, grip it at the end next to the bolt, and snug it up.

Holding the wrench this way reduces the chance of cranking on the bolt and stripping it out.

It doesn't need to be super tight.

Or better yet, follow Hopper's cool idea.
Old 11th May 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenyears of famine View Post
My searches led me to finding a popular torque setting of 22 lbs.
IMO that would be too much. I would guess more than 10 but less than 20 ft lbs. However, i think the best is to use your own good judgement. It does not have to be cranked on there. It will not come off. Trust.
Old 12th May 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: '60
Other Motorcycle Model: xs650
Other Motorcycle Year: '72
sevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enoughsevenyears of famine will become famous soon enough

Alright, I'm ready to give this another shot. I need help narrowing it down though. Here's what I got.

I picked up a couple new bolts (will cut down), the hex head takes a 3/4" wrench (vs the stock 5/8) and I can see that making it even easier to over tighten, so I found the allen head bolt. I'm really liking it, won't be able to get too much leverage on it but I'm not sure it's the smartest thing to put in. I've had a lot of allen heads strip and I can see myself regretting it.

The washers, from left to right: neoprene, fiber, "fibre", nylon, o-ring, & copper washer.

And then there's the teflon tape and some various sealants.

So, what's the winning combination? What would you try first?
Old 13th May 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenyears of famine View Post
Alright, I'm ready to give this another shot. I need help narrowing it down though. Here's what I got.

I picked up a couple new bolts (will cut down), the hex head takes a 3/4" wrench (vs the stock 5/8) and I can see that making it even easier to over tighten, so I found the allen head bolt. I'm really liking it, won't be able to get too much leverage on it but I'm not sure it's the smartest thing to put in. I've had a lot of allen heads strip and I can see myself regretting it.

The washers, from left to right: neoprene, fiber, "fibre", nylon, o-ring, & copper washer.

And then there's the teflon tape and some various sealants.

So, what's the winning combination? What would you try first?
I use the copper permtex utra around the drain plug. Nikki

Old 13th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

i,believe the ulra black,is an improved version of the copper.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 13th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

i,would try allen head,copper washer,with o,ring against the case. the copper washer should keep the allen bolt,from chewing up the o-ring. seal everything with silicone. don't think you have to worry about stripping out the allen head,the case will strip first. also,teflon tape on the threads. when applying the tape you have to wind it in the direction that it wont,unravel when tightening.
Old 13th May 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Ultra Black has a lower max temperature rating than the Copper. That is why we use the Copper for sealing the exhausts - it has the highest max temperature resistance.
Old 13th May 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

I didn't see any sewing thread in that collection.
Old 13th May 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
Ultra Black has a lower max temperature rating than the Copper. That is why we use the Copper for sealing the exhausts - it has the highest max temperature resistance.
Mick I had the copper pertex left over in dad's tool box , so I used it . it was high temp so that is what I would buy . I know over kill . Nikki
Know Thy Hog