The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
Foxcreek Leather
DK Customs
Speedway Instruments
RYCA Motors

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Freud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really nice
Default With Brembo Brakes. 11.5" stock rotors are usable?

Sorry because I could not figure this out after reading the brembo posts. please don't killme if the answers are already there.

1st. Can I use my stock rotors with brembo brakes on my xl1200r?
2nd. If I can't use my stock ones can i Use XR1200 11.5" floating ones?
3rd. If negative both. Do I definitely need 12.8" floating rotors?

Another option could be getting 320mm rotors and the caliper adapter. But havent found anyone doing it with an XL, the kit is intended to be used with XR so i don't know y I could have clearance issues, and because of the money I'd like to know prior to purchase something. (I know of motorcyclemetal.com and adrenalinmoto.co.uk making adapters but for the XR, had never seen them on an XL)

I already bought a brembo master cylinder (on the mail), have not installed it yet, I just didn't like the feel and the big lever travel with the stock master cylinder, I have stock dual brakes but I'd like to upgrade to brembos or maybe even 320mm plus brembos, my intention is not to lock the whelels everytime but to be able to brake effortlessly.

I'd love to improve stopping power, mainly because I feel it lacks a bit when ridint two up or in the interstate highways of my coountry. Two weeks ago i went out with some BMW folks in a very twisty and with a lot of bumpstops road, as you imagine i was getting left behind from time to time.

I was told by them as by the Harley local club that i have to get used to the capabilities of my bike, where I must differ because i know i can improve It, as sometime XLXR and whittlebeast said in some post i can't find right now: The fact that the stock suspensions and handling suck doesn't mean it must always be that way. I'm in for the looks on the bike but the capabilities can be changed.

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately the post in here sucks, so there are on the way (still) a set of rear shocks (I'll try the RK because i'd like to ride 2 up a lot), a set of intiminators, just purchased a superbrace and waiting for the invoice for a works dual rate springs.

I mean that maybe fortunately because it gives me time to figure out what to do with the brakes.

Cheers to all the always helpful and participative people of the forum.
Old 5th May 2012
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

You can't use the stock rotors because the stock set up the calipers slide and the rotors are solid. In the brembo's the Calipers are solid and the rotor needs to move. The stock touring rotors are a semi floating vs true floating.. I never measured my rotors, but they are the same for all the touring bikes, I happened to get the polished free floating ones and they work great.. VERY happy with the overall result.. (but then again, I went from a single caliper to dual brembo's)

the "Cheapest" solution would be to go with the bolt on stock style touring rotors,, and just get the brembo calipers which will bolt directly to your bike without any modifications. considering that you already have dual,, you're one step ahead.. I believe there are some nice aftermarket rotors that will work, just don't know the pricing.

My Thread on the subject : http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=908530

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 5th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Freud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really niceFreud is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
You can't use the stock rotors because the stock set up the calipers slide and the rotors are solid. In the brembo's the Calipers are solid and the rotor needs to move. The stock touring rotors are a semi floating vs true floating..
I don't get that about the sliding part of the discs or the brakes.

Is there a sliding piece? Wow i get it now (i guess ) that's why there are the buttons, to allow some lateral movement. Am I right?

Excuse my ignorance but i thought it was all solid calipers and rotors.
Old 6th May 2012
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassssss View Post
1st. Can I use my stock rotors with brembo brakes on my xl1200r?
2nd. If I can't use my stock ones can i Use XR1200 11.5" floating ones?
3rd. If negative both. Do I definitely need 12.8" floating rotors?
Can you use the stock rotors? Perhaps (I've been told some folks have). But why would you want to?? The point of upgrading your brakes is....umm...an upgrade. Not to have sub par brakes, right? Use the properly sized floating rotors.

And yes, the reason for the buttons is to allow slight lateral movement. Hence the term, "floating" rotors. (and we'll leave the entire discussion of full floating vs. semi-floating until later)

Understand, there's actually a lot of moving parts when it comes to brakes. Much of the movement is barely visible, but it is significant.

Off the top of my head, I don't think 12.8" is the correct size rotor. I'm thinking it's 300 mm (11.8"). Here's a picture of the stock rotor laying on top of the proper rotor. Notice there's isn't an inch difference.

Old 6th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
Can you use the stock rotors? Perhaps (I've been told some folks have). But why would you want to?? The point of upgrading your brakes is....umm...an upgrade. Not to have sub par brakes, right? Use the properly sized floating rotors.

And yes, the reason for the buttons is to allow slight lateral movement. Hence the term, "floating" rotors. (and we'll leave the entire discussion of full floating vs. semi-floating until later)

Understand, there's actually a lot of moving parts when it comes to brakes. Much of the movement is barely visible, but it is significant.

Off the top of my head, I don't think 12.8" is the correct size rotor. I'm thinking it's 300 mm (11.8"). Here's a picture of the stock rotor laying on top of the proper rotor. Notice there's isn't an inch difference.

Yes, your totaly right, I meant 11.8" and it was lapsus idiotus of mine.

Do you know something about the 320mm rotors plus adaptors.

It could be an alternative upgrade.
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th May 2012

Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I am not familiar with any of the adapters for 320 mm rotors (not saying it can't be done, I'm just not familiar with it). Maybe someone else can chime in.

I understand you have already purchased a Brembo MC, but have you considered the Nissin XR1200 brake setup? With the stock 1200R cast wheels (not wire/spoke), the XR brakes fit and use standard XL/XR full floating rotors which can be had for a few dollars less. See this thread for my take on the difference between the two setups (post #4). Just throwing out another option.
Old 11th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose Dan View Post
I am not familiar with any of the adapters for 320 mm rotors (not saying it can't be done, I'm just not familiar with it). Maybe someone else can chime in.

I understand you have already purchased a Brembo MC, but have you considered the Nissin XR1200 brake setup? With the stock 1200R cast wheels (not wire/spoke), the XR brakes fit and use standard XL/XR full floating rotors which can be had for a few dollars less. See this thread for my take on the difference between the two setups (post #4). Just throwing out another option.

It's way harder to get xr1200 brakes than i thought (used on ebay), wheras brembos are ver common, plus I don't know the specific dimensions of rotors according to different models. Perhaps I'll try to gather the info and if it goes well, make it a sticky with the aproval of the moderator.

Do brembos or nissins have to be used with 300mm rotors or 11.5" rotors are ok?

It would be nice to have a place to look for the parts that can be gotten to asemble brake upgrades, singles or duals.

I mean: a list of suitable rotors, master cylinders, and calipers in the different combo options. Like, if you use brembo calipers you can use the following rotors.... if you get this master cylinder you can feed these calipers, i you want this caliper you can get it from these bikes.

if i get the help needed I can gather all the info together because, mainly money, stops me from buying all the possible combos.
Old 11th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Default Trying to understand brake upgrades

Please help me clarify the following statements in order to help me understand brake uprgades possibilities and hopefuly help others with the same intentions.

All rotors and caliper from harley are suitable options regardless of the forks.

To feed the calipers different master cylinder may be needed.

The different pistons sizes inside of the master cylinders are....

Sportster have two kinds of stock brakes:Old ones with 4 pistons and the newer ones with 2 pistons.

The change was made with the rubbermount frame so 04' a newer have 2 piston calipers.

All Xl's except for sport and roadsters have single front brakes.

XR1200's have dual brakes from nissin, but the XR1200x seem to have different mount.

Posssible upgrades with used oem parts are: brembos from V-rods and tourings, nissins from XR, and -"older four piston calipers from sotck XLs?"-

Stock Xl and XR rotors are 11.5" but bikes equiped with brembos have 300mm or what equivals to 11.8" rotors.

Brembos and nissins can be used with either 11.52 or 300mm rotors as long as they are floating ones.

Stock XL rotors are solid,.

XR's with nissins have floating rotors

bikes with Brembo brakes like 06' and newer v-rods have floating rotors and 08' and newer tourings have floating rotors?

Stock XL calipers are floating units and can be used with either solid or floating rotors.

Brembos and nissins are solid units and require floating rotors.

Floating rotors are required when you have solid calipers to allow a little margin of lateral movement that can't be provided by the caliper.

Braided steel lines improve the feel because they are less suceptible of volume changes.
Old 11th May 2012

Quote:
Please help me clarify the following statements in order to help me understand brake uprgades possibilities and hopefuly help others with the same intentions.
I'll try here, but you ask a lot of questions. Some I know, some I don't.
Quote:
All rotors and caliper from harley are suitable options regardless of the forks.
All recent calipers will fit any recent fork legs (mounting is the same). Recent being 2000(?)-present. Some calipers will hit various wheel combinations.

Rotors don't all interchange. I'm a little fuzzy on this, but the hub size matters.

Quote:
To feed the calipers different master cylinder may be needed.
Very true. Different number of pistons or different number of calipers, or different size of pistons will require a different MC.

Quote:
The different pistons sizes inside of the master cylinders are....
Sportster have two kinds of stock brakes:Old ones with 4 pistons and the newer ones with 2 pistons.
My only correction to this would be:

Sportster = XL
(technically XR's are Sportsters, which your statement wouldn't be true then)
Quote:
The change was made with the rubbermount frame so 04' a newer have 2 piston calipers.
That's my understanding.
Quote:
All Xl's except for sport and roadsters have single front brakes.
1200S, 1200R, XR1200 and 883R all have dual front brakes.

(some purist don't like calling 883R's Roadsters...)

Quote:
XR1200's have dual brakes from nissin, but the XR1200x seem to have different mount.
Not sure what you mean by mount. According to my 2010 parts manual, the XR1200 and XR1200X both have the same caliper part number.
Quote:
Posssible upgrades with used oem parts are: brembos from V-rods and tourings, nissins from XR, and -"older four piston calipers from sotck XLs?"-

Stock Xl and XR rotors are 11.5" but bikes equiped with brembos have 300mm or what equivals to 11.8" rotors.
That is my understanding, yes.
Quote:
Brembos and nissins can be used with either 11.52 or 300mm rotors as long as they are floating ones.
Well...I certainly recommend using floating rotors. There are absolutely folks that don't...but what's the point if "upgrading" if you don't upgrade.
Quote:
Stock XL rotors are solid,.
All that I know of.
Quote:
XR's with nissins have floating rotors
I *think* the XR1200 have solids, I *know* the XR1200X has floating.
Quote:
bikes with Brembo brakes like 06' and newer v-rods have floating rotors and 08' and newer tourings have floating rotors?
The (stock) touring models I have seen actually have what Harley calls "semi-floating". They are fairly crappy design and NOT to be confused with a proper floating design. There has been a couple of folks that have used them and reported success. I wouldn't use them.
Quote:
Stock XL calipers are floating units and can be used with either solid or floating rotors.
That is my understanding.
Quote:
Brembos and nissins are solid units and require floating rotors.
"Require" is awfully strong...but yes, *highly* recommended.
Quote:
Floating rotors are required when you have solid calipers to allow a little margin of lateral movement that can't be provided by the caliper.
Correct.
Quote:
Braided steel lines improve the feel because they are less suceptible of volume changes.
There's been lots of discussions and debate on the subject. I believe that to be true.

Hope my answers help a little.
Old 11th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Thanks Dan, It certainly does.

I'll surf on the posts to see what else I can find, as well as on the web.
Know Thy Hog