The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (67), cartoad2001 (65), Dirty Ernie (59), bri1200c (51), pquirk (48), GOTWA (45), gremlinsteve (45), lbowles2 (43), Guess (35), rnaway22es, landon283 (26)
Biltwell
Lowbrow Customs
Foxcreek Leather
Figure Machine

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
do0zman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do0zman's XB12 Conversion.

I received all the parts I was waiting on and started the conversion yesterday The bike starts as a 2000 1200c will be putting in a stock Buell XB12 top end. Here is the list of parts that i picked up.

XB12 top end (pistons, jugs and heads)
Andrews N4 cams
Fix length pushrods .040 shorter (Thanks NRHS)
Cometic .030 full top end gasket kit
New Rings
Bassani road rage 2-1 exhaust.
Jagg slim oil cooler
Jagg oil cooler adapter kit.
Rubber mount to solid mount Engine mount(not the one in the photo)

The process started very slow I had to remove the old gaskets from the jugs and heads took a few hours for this to actually happen I scarred a few parts on the base of the cylinders so i hope it doesn't cause problems sealing.

Here is what i started with

Here it is with one cylinder done and the other almost there

After i got everything prepped time to start on the bike.

Nice little reminder so when i get in the moment of first start i wont forget... Seen this happen a few times to a few people.

Here she is w/ everything out of the way

Top rockerbox cover off.

Lower rockerboxes off

Rear head off

both heads off

Jugs off

Goodbye pistons.

That's all I've done up till now. This is my first bike build kinda trying to learn as i go got the manual in hand and should be getting it put back together today or tomorrow more pic will follow and im sure now that all the easy stuff is out o the way ill be having a bunch of questions.
Old 9th May 2012
Quadcam girlybike racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL "NHRS 1250" R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda vf750c
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
sep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of light

Very nice package you got there mate
Just take your time and you'll be alright.
If I can do it you sure can too.
You've also came to the right place for questions.
There are very knowledgeable forum members around. They sure helped me plenty when I was doing my conversion.
And keep the pics coming
Old 9th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Ran into an issue ring end gap is off horribly on one cylinder gonna go take some pictures of it now. Should have checked this out before i tore it down but we all make mistakes.
Old 9th May 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: hugger 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
kgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nice

gap to wide or to narrow...narrow is easy fix wide ant.
Old 9th May 2012
Greasemonkey

I just went out did a double check on the gap and i was right its way off i used the method that everyone else does and came up with the ring gap showing .025+ thats as thick as the feeler gauge i have goes and still had room. Checked at the bottom just for the hell of it and the bottom is still in spec. here are a few shots.

here is the piston in the cyl using it to measure how far down the ring is also threw a level on there to make myself feel better knowing the ring is level.

Here is a pic of the measurement you can see the gap in the back which is noticable by eye compared to a good one. i didnt get a shot to compare the two though
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th May 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c/1203xb
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1994 XL1200
Other Motorcycle Model: 1998 Heritage ST
proturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0zman View Post
I just went out did a double check on the gap and i was right its way off i used the method that everyone else does and came up with the ring gap showing .025+ thats as thick as the feeler gauge i have goes and still had room. Checked at the bottom just for the hell of it and the bottom is still in spec. here are a few shots.

here is the piston in the cyl using it to measure how far down the ring is also threw a level on there to make myself feel better knowing the ring is level.

Here is a pic of the measurement you can see the gap in the back which is noticable by eye compared to a good one. i didnt get a shot to compare the two though
Are you sure it's the rings and not one cylinder is bigger than the other? Just a thought.
Old 9th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Im sure that cylinder is shot. only thing to revive it is a bore and use oversized piston. So im now on the hunt for another Cylinder to try to keep my costs low. Spoke w/ Dan at NRHS he confirmed what i was dreading to hear.

Is there a diff between front and rear cylinders? Are they interchangeable?
Old 9th May 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c/1203xb
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1994 XL1200
Other Motorcycle Model: 1998 Heritage ST
proturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of lightproturn is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0zman View Post
Im sure that cylinder is shot. only thing to revive it is a bore and use oversized piston. So im now on the hunt for another Cylinder to try to keep my costs low. Spoke w/ Dan at NRHS he confirmed what i was dreading to hear.

Is there a diff between front and rear cylinders? Are they interchangeable?
The cylinders are exactly the same.
Old 10th May 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: hugger 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
kgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nicekgi4x4 is just really nice

why not just use your stock 1200 jugs? or did i miss something...
Old 10th May 2012
Greasemonkey

As far as I know I cant use xb pistons with xl1200 cylinders
Know Thy Hog