The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
S&S Cycle
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches
Get Lowered

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Sprint 175SX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Sportster1200C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 01 1200c noise that can't be found...

I haven't rode much in the past month because lately I've been hearing a noise normally happening about a hour or so into riding the bike once everything is good and warm. I notice it around 45mph its a noise that isn't internal on the motor cause I can pull the clutch and rev the bike up a bit and it stays the same and slows as the bike slows down with the clutch in.

The noise sounds like the front brake but I look at it and the pads are damn near new, put on at the end of the riding season last year, I was thinking the wheel bearings were going bad in the front but they haven't yet let any grease out nor do they show any obvious signs of wear on the outside surface, I checked my exhaust gaskets and they still look brand new. I'm at a loss and kinda don't really wanna ride it do to concern if it is a bearing and it locks up it will be a bad day but really don't wanna send it to the shop if it's just the pads.

It's making a swishing noise kinda like when you kick the gear shifter or hear a chain or if you have an exhaust leak kinda like the popping or puffing noise, I've pulled the primary looking for wear inside it but the tensioner and chain still look good. I adjusted the clutch "Which it needed" and it feels perfect now but yet still doing it, I rode it about 2 hours this week checked the tensioner when I got home and the chain is still within spec so it's not the primary chain.

the bike is a 01 Sportster 1200c the bike has about 36,000 miles and about 6000 miles on the rebuild. It has the screaming eagle kit, vance and hines, k&n drop in filter, new shinko 777 tires front and back, I've never had this problem only problem i had was rubbing of the rear wheel which has been fixed I checked that too.

Oh and by the way it started making this noise 2 days after having the oil change and primary oil changed, took it back to them and they said they couldn't hear it, I did how ever notice my belt has 2 teeth missing that I thought might be it but you would think it wouldn't start a hour into riding the bike that it would be as soon as you start and ride.
Old 14th May 2012
Biker

No body has an idea on what it could be?
Old 15th May 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883c
dwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nicedwl25 is just really nice

I'm only guessing but you might have too much oil in the primary, the primary might be too tight in it's adjustment or the belt might be too tight. I have never experienced a belt with missing teeth so I don't know if this could be the problem. Start with one of these and see if it helps. Good luck.
Old 17th May 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwl25 View Post
I'm only guessing but you might have too much oil in the primary, the primary might be too tight in it's adjustment or the belt might be too tight. I have never experienced a belt with missing teeth so I don't know if this could be the problem. Start with one of these and see if it helps. Good luck.
primary chain has been readjusted and the primary refilled with 1 quart 20w 50 synthetic. The belt does in fact feel like its tightening for some reason I'm going to go ahead and loosen the rear wheel and adjust it back to the proper adjustment right now you have about a 1/8 inch play without a rider on it and once a rider sits on it there is absolutely no play at all so I figure that could help a bit but still no figuring it out so far.

Gonna do a compression check on it and everything had the valves checked and there fine no clanking from those and the motor sounds stable it doesn't knock or tick and it fires up first time everytime with no smoke or anything.

really starting to think I should swap the bearings and try it.
Old 18th May 2012
Savant?

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

The sound of a bearing failing is usually a faint high-pitched metallic squeak. It's very faint and usually not audible with the wind and road noise. You could be hearing a number of things.

Always look at the easy stuff first. Look and feel around/under the fenders.

It's possible you could actually be hearing the pads touching the rotors. My buddy's dyna makes the same sound when stopping around 40 mph. The brake pads may not have seated yet? Does the sound change when braking?

Does the belt have any worn edges? When it rubs against the pulley, it'll make some odd sounds and after some mileage, it'll be visible also. Double check the alignment.

Old 18th May 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
The sound of a bearing failing is usually a faint high-pitched metallic squeak. It's very faint and usually not audible with the wind and road noise. You could be hearing a number of things.

Always look at the easy stuff first. Look and feel around/under the fenders.

It's possible you could actually be hearing the pads touching the rotors. My buddy's dyna makes the same sound when stopping around 40 mph. The brake pads may not have seated yet? Does the sound change when braking?

Does the belt have any worn edges? When it rubs against the pulley, it'll make some odd sounds and after some mileage, it'll be visible also. Double check the alignment.
Some things you said I haven't even thought of trying, I'm gonna check the alignment this weekend whe I readjust the belt tension. The belt is 2 years old and will be getting replaced with a chain drive conversion as soon as possible but I wanna figure this out before I start buying a load of parts and put em on to find out it's not fixed.
Old 18th May 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to all

you probably solved you own problem. the belt will make noise and it does take awhile for the belt to change temperature. the belt when mfg'd contains a self lubercating fearture that wears with age as the belt relaxes and starts drying out even as car tires do. this is unavoidable and add to problem is wear to the pulley material due to road grim, this allows for air pockets no matter how small that will make noise as it is squeezed out. the slightly rough surface can add its' own noise also. i would think about swapping the belt as two missing teeth will now add stress in that cord area and the belt will fail.
Old 18th May 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
coolcat2002 is on a distinguished roadcoolcat2002 is on a distinguished roadcoolcat2002 is on a distinguished roadcoolcat2002 is on a distinguished road

When I had bad wheel bearing, I could hear/ feel it grind when i pushed the bike across a quiet indoor area.

My first guess when I heard your concern was the breather. Mine makes a racket.

Also tighten all your motor mounts.
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Well I took it out and rode it till the noise appeared then shut it down in 5th with the clutch in and it is for sure in the front wheel, got scared it might be in the motor but with no power and still making the noise that excludes that lol. Guess it's time to order new front and rear bearings and i guess i will finally hike the cost next month when i get my bonus for that chain conversion Ive been wanting.
Old 14th June 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Are you sure it's the bearings though? Have you ever had the front laced wheel trued? Also the front pads will make that noise as they float over the rotor. Hate to see you buy bearings only to find the cause was something else.

Definately change the belt. Is there a particular reason you want to do the chain conversion? The belt is maintenance free and very durable once it breaks in.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Know Thy Hog