The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches
Foxcreek Leather
RYCA Motors

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about
Default Question about RK air shocks

I have a dumb question. I just got some RK air shocks from the bay. How do you add air? They have brass plugs. Do I need to buy air stems now?

"The strength of the wolf is the pack, the strength of the pack is the wolf."
Old 20th January 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, you will need the lines and line caps and collars that hold the lines in place, run to a t-schrader valve so you can air them.

Be aware that the manual for my bike say for a single rider, 5-10 pounds, and 15psi for two up riding.
This is why Harley sells a hand air pump for the air system.

There is a big warning never to use a compressed air to air them, it can blow the seals out of them.

I have seen were some use a single schrader pre-side, this can lead to them being uneven, and give you a very uneven ride.
Old 20th January 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a fill kit from dealership that has all fittings and lines, with a single fill valve. A bit pricey, but once installed, you have one point to fill and adjust, and both shocks will be set equally. I have my fill valve located on left side mounted to one of the rear fender strut bolts. But imagination will take you far as well!

"If you're looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Old Bubba of the Booze Junkies MC
Old 20th January 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah.... I also run these empty or up to 4-6 psi solo and have run up to 15-17 two up and loaded bags. Make sure you get one of the hand pumps for the shocks....they have a micro adjusting valve so you can adjust in 1/2 psi increments!
Old 20th January 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 2 gold wings
Other Motorcycle Year: 7684
bills bikes will become famous soon enoughbills bikes will become famous soon enoughbills bikes will become famous soon enoughbills bikes will become famous soon enoughbills bikes will become famous soon enoughbills bikes will become famous soon enough

go to napa to get the air valves about 3.00 dollars apiece
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th January 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

Get the air valves at NAPA or Ace hardware and the Progressive air balance kit like the one on the link.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...06&skuId=58318
Old 30th January 2008

64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about64physhy has a spectacular aura about

After looking all over town, I finally found them at NAPA. If I can't keep the pressure even, I'll probably eventually get the whole kit, but I'll see how this works first.
Old 30th January 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

I got the micro pump off eBay to pump up the shocks.
You can't just throw a compressor hose on it and fill it up because the chamber is real small...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 31st January 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL standard 883/1200 conv
Bill2 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpull View Post
Get the air valves at NAPA or Ace hardware and the Progressive air balance kit like the one on the link.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...06&skuId=58318
That link is for forks not rear shocks.
'05 Standard 883/1200 touring conversion with: '07 XB heads with 8.8:1 c/r, dragtron II a/c, Caliber 2into1 five step header, rejetted to: 46pilotjet @ two turns,needle clip on 4th groove,185 main jet,twin tech high performance ignition, 30 tooth trans pulley, jagg oil cooler, forward controls, pullback type handle bars,memphis fats windshield, Corbin classic solo seat with back rest, 10" pillion pad, black progressive 412 shocks 12.5" H-D springs, progressive fork springs, vista cruise control, and relocated ignition & coil to a stainless steel home brewed mount between the cylinders. (Temp. runs around 165-180 degrees in town and 180- 210 degrees on the freeway running 70-90mph and it uses no oil in between 3000 mile changes.) GPS calibrated speedometer.
Old 31st January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I got the micro pump off eBay to pump up the shocks.
You can't just throw a compressor hose on it and fill it up because the chamber is real small...
Yeah. I'm about to get one from ebay. Jireh has them listed cheaper than I've found on ebay, but they're out of stock. That's twice I've ordered from them, and twice they've been out of stock.
Know Thy Hog