The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
Motor Stage
Speedway Instruments
Get Lowered
Energy One Clutches

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 81
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLH/XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki 550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
joshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nicejoshuat is just really nice
Default Anyone have a story about strangers walking up and start talking???

There I was, at the post office dropping off pacakges for my wife when suddenly up walks a stranger. I was in line and saw a SGM( highest rank for Army enlisted) and noticed he rode in on a newish something large non harley. As I pass by him I give him a nod but I get the cold shoulder, whoops.
So I step outside and see the gun peering over my bike, not his huge shiney chrome thing. As I walk up, he started talking about how he started out on an 82, I told him he was close and it's an 81. He kept talking about the noises from the gears, the fun he had, and how he missed his old bike. I for one thought it was funny he was doing that with my bike and not the pretty art piece next to mine. As I rode off, he followed us with his eyes. I could tell he was yearning for his bike again. Thank you so much random stranger, you make me love this bike more and more.
Old 15th May 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper looking thing
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph POS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold

Get used to it, because either it's a curiousity to the new HD owners or an old timer once owned one.

Either way, they are a little slice of history.
Old 15th May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Motorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura about

Alway a chance of it happening Postal office, Store, camping, bikes trucks someone always picks me to talk to.....................
Old 15th May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
ultra...good has disabled reputation

At the gas station, had already filled up and paid, back at the XLCH looking it over for oil leaks or loose bolts, checked the oil etc... Guy at the pump next to me was done filling and started talking to me, he had his daughter that couldn't have been more then 4 with him. So he's telling me how nice my bike looked, he used to have one but wasn't as nice as mine, had to sell it because of kids and so forth. Conversation goes back and forth for a minute, him still standing there with his daughter. So, i get up on the bike, move kicker over to compression, turn on the key, give it a boot and she roars to life. As soon as that motor lit, that little girl took off like a bat out of hell, back around the mini-van and got in and was hiding from that monster XLCH. Scared the hell out of that poor girl. Her dad didn't notice that she took off though. So now he turns to go, looks down and looks back at me like "oh shit, my wife is going to kill me." I just pointed into the van at the girl who was now covered by her blanket and shaking in fear.
Even though it scared the hell out of that poor little girl, the look on that guys face when he realized he didn't know where his daughter was, well, it was priceless.
Old 15th May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Motorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura about

a point to you for keeping and eye his priceless child, that can happen and you did a good thing
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to all

my all time favorite "... yeah, i used to have one of them ol ironhead sportsters, so is yours an 883 or a 1200?" gets me every time, and i actually get this often! sometimes ya just gotta laugh...
Old 15th May 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
a150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rough

Happens quite a bit and most people think its a new bike...I usually agree with them and say I did buy it new, pause and then say "23 years ago". The reaction always makes me smile.
Old 15th May 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuat View Post
There I was, at the post office dropping off pacakges for my wife when suddenly up walks a stranger.
How did you carry the packages on a Sportster?
93 Cubic Inches..3.635 Bore x 4.50 Stroke...Baisley Roller Rockers...Dual Plug Heads Ported With XLR Valves...Chrome Moly Pushrods...Andrews AX Grind Cams .550 Lift...Venolia Pistons...Total Seal Gapless Rings...Balanced S&S Rods & Flywheels...Blitz Steel Barrels...Billet Oil Pump...K&N O2 Sensors...S&S Super E Carb...Crane Fireball Multi Spark Ignition...All Andrews Trans Gears & Shafts...Strociek Billet Trap Door...Barnett Kevlar Wet/Dry Clutch...Motorsport Rear Motor Mount...High Torque Starter...100 Plus HP
Old 15th May 2012
Biker

squirt is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny37 View Post
How did you carry the packages on a Sportster?
About 75% of the time when I'm riding, I wear a backpack.
Old 15th May 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
my all time favorite "... yeah, i used to have one of them ol ironhead sportsters, so is yours an 883 or a 1200?" gets me every time, and i actually get this often! sometimes ya just gotta laugh...
Yeah; I had to laugh just the other day, a guy was looking at my bike and told me he used to have a 75 883, all I said was "cool"
Know Thy Hog