The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Dead Creek Cycles
Superbrace
Ironworks Magazine
Superbrace

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2012
Eccentric Tinkerer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Flying Monkey is a glorious beacon of lightFlying Monkey is a glorious beacon of lightFlying Monkey is a glorious beacon of lightFlying Monkey is a glorious beacon of lightFlying Monkey is a glorious beacon of lightFlying Monkey is a glorious beacon of lightFlying Monkey is a glorious beacon of lightFlying Monkey is a glorious beacon of lightFlying Monkey is a glorious beacon of lightFlying Monkey is a glorious beacon of lightFlying Monkey is a glorious beacon of light

Yup, hardtail has a distinctive sound....

.. sounds young when it offers to trade ride for a ride!

(or is that "split-tail"??? Always get those mixed up )

-1973 XLCH with... modifications-
Old 20th May 2012
Flat Track Racer

DollarBil has a spectacular aura aboutDollarBil has a spectacular aura aboutDollarBil has a spectacular aura aboutDollarBil has a spectacular aura aboutDollarBil has a spectacular aura aboutDollarBil has a spectacular aura aboutDollarBil has a spectacular aura aboutDollarBil has a spectacular aura aboutDollarBil has a spectacular aura aboutDollarBil has a spectacular aura aboutDollarBil has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
you just gotta walk on in like your balls are as big as watermelons, that's the trick to being on an ironhead.
The only thing missing from that long walk was me ordering a tall glass of milk
Old 20th May 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
Thanks. That's a good story you told, and I know exactly how that is...people with all sorts of made-up BS to try to impress you. BTW, that pic was taken in 1990. Here's the same XLX today.
clean machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
This girl is damned funny. My son and I laughed our butts off watching her vids last weekend.
i had pretty low expectations early on, but she starts to grow on you.

i gots mad respect for you IH guys and your rides.

i get a lot of walker-upper-talkers and lately a few more. they usually start out on the right side and say 'you have done a little work on it, eh?' and i say 'a little'... and then they make their way around to the pretty side and jaws drop. lots of conversation but it is starting to be less about what they used to have and more about what i have.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 20th May 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
bigbadgun has a spectacular aura aboutbigbadgun has a spectacular aura aboutbigbadgun has a spectacular aura aboutbigbadgun has a spectacular aura aboutbigbadgun has a spectacular aura aboutbigbadgun has a spectacular aura aboutbigbadgun has a spectacular aura aboutbigbadgun has a spectacular aura aboutbigbadgun has a spectacular aura aboutbigbadgun has a spectacular aura aboutbigbadgun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithe View Post
The fact that the attitude of other riders makes people feel this way really burns me up. I've ridden just about every kind of hunk of junk, thrown together bike imaginable. But I ride, rain, sleet or nuclear fallout. I don't even own cars if I can help it. I'll be d***ed if some poser on his $50k toy he can't even change the oil on is going to tell me I'm inferior because I don't ride... whatever it is he has. Ride what you got and don't EVER let anyone give you grief over it.
+1
If you dont like the fact that my bike is older that YOU then dont look at it.
Chrome Kings had me on the floor.
Old 21st May 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Robicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the roughRobicycle is a jewel in the rough

Reminds me of a comic I seen in an bike mag years ago. A couple of bikers sitting on chops at the stop lights, a kid there on a rice rocket:

Kid: Hey wanna race, Ha, ha?
Bikers: Sure kid, in 10 years on the same bikes!

I always thought they made a good point and it is true.
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd May 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Wooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
it's working really well, if only my brain worked as good i'd not be downshifting for forgetting where i put that damned brake pedal!!! i've made a few clutchless shifts at first, but i've got the hang of it now. trans is extra smooth, gotta love those andrews gears! did y'all have the blistered bottom ride yet? oh and now that my rear brake rod is on top (like normal) instead of the bottom (essentially pulling the brake cam backwards) like i used to have it, rear braking has improved dramatically!
I'm sure shifting and braking is a thinking game retraining the brain right now. At least your hand brake is the same If I ever have to dig in my tranny guess I'll try some Andrews.
Have not done the Blistered Bottom Ride yet, it's the end of June. Don't know if I'll make it or not this year, my wife has cancer and is going through Radiation treatments everyday right now. She's coping pretty well though.
Old 22nd May 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to all

this was one of my favorites!!!

you got to know your targets because the king sportster was quickly being dethroned by the rice burners. i got all of my drinking money for free by smoking a target and then offering double his money back and he could switch my spark plug wires. smoked again and all they could ask is how?? whoo-hoo where's the bar!!!