The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
S&S Cycle
Get Lowered
Superbrace.com
S&S Cycle

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200x 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
dafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the rough
Default 48 - low speed sloppy front end - damper?

Hey guys, I love how the bike rides, it's light and fast and responsive, but I don't like how it feels when going very slow - it's too light and shaky in the front end. If I put a steering damper on, would that help? If so, what would happen to the response while at real world speeds?

Also can someone recommend springs for the stock front end? I just put the HD145e Ohlins shocks on, sprung to my weight, hoping they will keep me from coming right off the seat as was happening with the stock shocks (like right off the seat, in the air over medium bumps...I'm a 135lb lightweight lol).

Merci

Shawn
Old 17th May 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: buell cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year: 02
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
xlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of light

Have you done the fall-away proceedure? Have you cranked the nut down at all?
Old 17th May 2012
Harley Engineer

dafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the roughdafy is a jewel in the rough

Not sure what you mean by that?
Old 17th May 2012
Chief Know It All

xlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of lightxlron is a glorious beacon of light

Its in the clymer manual, and I asume its in the shop manual (you know, ass/you/me). Basic- Jack up the front end, center the front forks. Do they stay where you put them?
Mine are ajusted (by tightening the BIG nut in your fork neck), so that you have to push the left or right handlebar slightly to to make it fall , slowly, then faster as it goes. But don't crank it to tight !!, a little at a time.
Old 17th May 2012
Harley Engineer

Ah! I did that tonight, and they fell to the left very quickly, but I assumed it was the floor. I thought the floor was a bit crooked when I was putting my shocks on.

OK so if I get the bike level (with a level) on the lift, and the forks fall to one side, I know I have to tighten the triple nut, yes?

I'm not so comfortable with the number of bolts that get loose on this bike. I was riding the biggest (and slowest) street in Toronto the other day, and all of the sudden my left mirror became a fan, swinging around...which was actually cool because I was hot, but I couldn't see shit.
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th May 2012
Chief Know It All

Dafy, You might find this fall away proceedure on youtube ... You ought to put some kind of motor on that mirror to make it spin all the time, then just time it so you look at it when its aligned. Then you can pretend your'e from California, and started something new.
Old 17th May 2012
Harley Engineer

No spinning mirrors, no dice, no skulls, no blingy add-ons on my bike. I wanted an IH in the 80s but had sportbike friends, so I rode sport bikes since then. After spending 80K on my last bike, a Ducati with lots of bolt-ons, I'm doing this one myself, even if it takes forever. I'm willing to lose limbs here. But should have bought an IH lol...oh well I wanted a warranty, which I probably killed the day after I bought it...
Old 17th May 2012
Chief Know It All

One of a kind, cool.
Old 17th May 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
EaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the rough

lock tight the things that you can...like those mirrors.
ive actually used 2 nuts on mine, 1 for tension and 1 as a jam nut. my friend had 1 of his fall off on the highway last summer, so im trying to avoid that lol.
before i bought mine i was told a lot of guys just go crazy with lock tight on the sportsters.

what else comes loose??
Old 17th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

7 Pages of Suspension

I am not sure what is causing your problem. It could be improper tire pressure, improper rider sag, improper chassis pitch, or maybe you just don't have enough time on the bike to adjust your riding technique.

From an $80 K Ducati to a 48???

Works Dual Rate fork spring kit (soft version) or Race Tech straight rate springs, one lighter than their recommendation because you will want to add Ricor Intiminators to the forks. Fork brace, better tires. All way way under $80K. All the details are detailed in the link above.

Properly set up rubber mounts, ridden at legal speeds, do not need steering dampers. Steering dampers may hide problems.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Know Thy Hog