The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
NRHS Performance Long 2
Motor Stage
Figure Machine
Superbrace

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
Katastrophic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clutch Sprocket Spacer Help

Ok so I am trying to figure out the proper length of the clutch sprocket spacer. In the manual to do this it gives a procedure as follows :

1. Measure distance from end of ratchet sprocket spacer to top of starter ratchet gear teeth.

No problem with that one simple measurement.

2.On clutch sprocket assembly, measure distance from top of starter teeth to clutch sprocket thrust washer.

Problem : Where in the hell is the clutch sprocket thrust washer ? I dont see one listed any where in any diagram or parts listing.

Can anyone help me out here ?

Thanks
Old 17th May 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrophic View Post
Ok so I am trying to figure out the proper length of the clutch sprocket spacer. In the manual to do this it gives a procedure as follows :

1. Measure distance from end of ratchet sprocket spacer to top of starter ratchet gear teeth.

No problem with that one simple measurement.

2.On clutch sprocket assembly, measure distance from top of starter teeth to clutch sprocket thrust washer.

Problem : Where in the hell is the clutch sprocket thrust washer ? I dont see one listed any where in any diagram or parts listing.

Can anyone help me out here ?

Thanks
Let me see if I can lend a hand here.
I believe the factory service manual is a bit misleading.
You have a 1971 or newer model, correct?
This has the wet clutch and models earlier than 1971 have the dry clutch.

So if your manual shows the older dry clutch, go to that section and look/read about measurement for the spacer.
Basically it tells you if the spacer has been replaced on an XLCH it is necessary to check the clearance between the teeth on the starter gear and the clutch gear as described in 'starter'.

So if you go to 'starter' you will find yourself in the wet clutch section. it describes what you state....... Quote: '2. On the clutch sprocket assembly, measure distance from the top of starter teeth to the clutch sprocket thrust washer.'thrust washer.' Unquote.

They are talking about item 24 in the dry clutch parts breakdown (see dry clutch parts exploded view).
Item 24 is called Sprocket Bearing Washer (variable-size) and is used on the dry clutch only.

So the manual is giving you a mix of instruction on both dry and wet clutches.
What should you do?
Measure from the top of the starter teeth to the place where the end of the spacer sits when assembled.

It has been years since I had mine apart (1971 model XLCH) and I do not have it a part at this time.
But I wrote the following notes in my manual when I last put it together in 1999.

Maybe this will help you determine your dimensions.......
Step 1 measured .411 inch on my machine.
Step 2 measured .269 inch on my machine.
So, .411 minus .269 = .142.
This is greater than .040 so I used the spacer I had.
I had not changed the spacer, I simply wanted to know what the clearance was and it was plenty.

Let me ask you....Did you need to change out the spacer?
Maybe you replaced the gears?
Unless the gears were replaced, you need the same length as original.
If you do not have the original, or you replaced the gears then you do need to do this measurement.
Hope this helps in any case.
pg
Old 17th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
Katastrophic is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I forgot to add .... It is a 72 XLCH .... I am checking the spacer because I am not able to adjust the clutch properly ( Barnett Scorpion ) It keeps slipping and I think it is because I am putting a pre-load on it when I put the primary cover on. So thinking the spacer is too long and causing the clutch hub to stick out to far. I finally figured it out as far as measurment goes and I def had .010 to much of a spacer. I will know tomorrow when I complete this project and post what I found !!
Old 17th May 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrophic View Post
OK I forgot to add .... It is a 72 XLCH .... I am checking the spacer because I am not able to adjust the clutch properly ( Barnett Scorpion ) It keeps slipping and I think it is because I am putting a pre-load on it when I put the primary cover on. So thinking the spacer is too long and causing the clutch hub to stick out to far. I finally figured it out as far as measurment goes and I def had .010 to much of a spacer. I will know tomorrow when I complete this project and post what I found !!
If I understand you correctly you are saying you have too much sticking out on the spacer? You need a minimum clearance of .040 inch between the gears or more is better.

I do not think there is such thing as too much clearance.
Putting the primary on is not going to affect the clutch in any manner whatsoever.

I strongly believe your problem is with.........
(1) Getting the proper tension on the two coil clutch springs and...........
(2) Doing the correct adjustment of the clutch.

Since you have a 1972 model it did not come with the 6 spacers inside the clutch.
They could have been added by someone since 1974 when the spacers first appeared. So, does your clutch have these 6 spacers?

If not, then buy a set for a few dollars and install them. You will want to buy the standard legth set ( 1.530 inch long ).
They are available in 3 different lengths.
These spacers do two things....
(1) Give you the proper spring tension and....
(2) Give you automatic alignment of the outer clutch plate disc which does away with aligning the disc as you had to do before the spacers came along.

To adjust the clutch I will give you my personal 'sticky' on doing that...........

Follow each step in order, please..........

1) Loosen the lock nut on the cable adjuster and run the adjuster into the primary cover until you have lots of free play up at the clutch lever.

2) Remove the plug on the center of the primary cover.
With a 13/16 socket loosen the lock nut on the clutch adjustment screw.

3) Turn the adjuster screw inward until it gets harder to turn. (It is now touching the pressure plate)
Turn the screw in
an additional 2 full turns.

4) Now go back to the cable adjuster and screw it out of the primary cover. Watch the slack begin to disappear at the clutch lever.
Continue to turn the adjuster out until the slack is gone. Stop.
You want
zero slack and zero load at the lever. Just a neutral no slack/no load adjustment.

5) Tighten the cable adjuster lock nut down.
THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU WILL TOUCH THIS ADJUSTER!So move on to the following steps........

6) Now go back to the clutch adjusting screw and turn it outward until it gets easier to turn. Stop.
Turn the adjuster back in until you feel it touch the pressure plate. Stop.
Now turn the adjuster screw out 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Notice this last step is what gives you the desired amount of slack up at the lever.

7) Carefully tighten down the lock nut on the adjuster screw without allowing the screw to move.
Replace the center plug in the primary cover and you are now done.

If it slips at all after this adjustment then you have worn clutch plates. And slippage means you need to look at replacing the plates. No other course of action is possible.
Let us know the results please.

pg