The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
nate74, daPainta (63), BobboJama (61), whoopeekat (60), steelbreeze (58), Rio (53), paragon (50), miztacrabbypants (45), Truck (40)
DK Customs
DK Customs
Get Lowered
Fix My Hog

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: HD-FXD
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
acb2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Only one cylinder runs

Hi, yesterday I tried to run my bike (XLH 1981) and I needed the car battery to start it.
But the problem was that only the rear cilinder runs, but the front one didnīt.
I hadnīt got the tools there, so I still havenīt check if itīs an electric (plugs, wires..) or a mecanic (valves, pushrod...) problem.
anyone with a similar problem? What do you think I need to check first?
Thanks. Acb2
Old 21st January 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
hintocycle is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine tends to do the same when its cold, but if I start it and dont let it warm up all the way and goose it a little it will foul a plug every time. Check your plugs then wires and you will probably be fine with one or the other. Also check where the plug wire goes into the coil mine broke in there and the wire boot help it inplace without me knowing until I tried to put the plug wire back on and the wire fell out of the coil. It sounds like a dead plug though. Have fun. Start on the easy stuff. cheers
Old 21st January 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
CourtHouseCustom is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it what you mean by "only the rear cilinder runs" is that the rear if firing and the front is moving fine just not firing. If this is the case, I would check the electrical end of it first. Start at the plugs and work your way to the plug wires, coil, wiring to breaker and ignition, then the ignition/points. Somewhere within all of those items, you should find your problem. Hope that helps.

D.J.
Old 21st January 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
CosmoTG is an unknown quantity at this point

Start with the easiest first. Plugs. It could be anything of course but swapping plugs and wires is a simple task...Cos
Old 21st January 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBi Street Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
OutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura about

I would check if it is even firing first on the front cyl first,if it is firing then more than likely you are in for a top end rebuild.
http://outlaws-iguana-ranch.com Outlaws Website

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/OutlawTexan67/My%20Ironhead/Gifs/BigRotatingSkull.gif "Ironhead Mafia" European Chapter
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st January 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Sportster/Buell Model #2: old ironhead .
Sportster/Buell Year #2: ???
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 kaw z1
Other Motorcycle Year: 73
garbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the rough

OK do this pull the plug will let the spark jump under the boot to the plug. let it run and it will clear up I have let mine run for a few miles this way and saves pulling plug as will clean up a wet or oil plug from sitting if it ran good when you parked it then as you ride push the boot back down good luck a old trick I have used for years
Old 22nd January 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead 1000
Other Motorcycle Model: HD-FXD
acb2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everybody, Iīll check first the electrics posibilities.
Thanks again.
Old 22nd January 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
linex82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTG View Post
Start with the easiest first. Plugs. It could be anything of course but swapping plugs and wires is a simple task...Cos
I'd swap just the plugs first - one thing at a time. This happened to me, and the front one was bad. I ended up just replacing them both, because the bike was new to me at the time. I tried to pull the plug and see if it was jumping - and shocked the bejezus out of myself. (and laughed about it, of course)
Old 22nd January 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Sportster/Buell Model #2: old ironhead .
Sportster/Buell Year #2: ???
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 kaw z1
Other Motorcycle Year: 73
garbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the roughgarbiker is a jewel in the rough

well no need to try and tell you guys any thing. 50 years ex on harleys?? IT will work. From a old harley mechanic. gar
Old 23rd January 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Spree
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Shadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbiker View Post
OK do this pull the plug will let the spark jump under the boot to the plug. let it run and it will clear up I have let mine run for a few miles this way and saves pulling plug as will clean up a wet or oil plug from sitting if it ran good when you parked it then as you ride push the boot back down good luck a old trick I have used for years

I will give this a try if i ever get this problem. I assume this clears out oil or water from within the boot?

Thanks,

Chris
Know Thy Hog