The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Lickscycles
Lowbrow Customs
Biltwell
Motor Stage

DK Customs
Tags
comfort, shocks, suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Other Motorcycle Model: '04 Honda 599, '66 C200
breyerpest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default comfortable rear shocks for Iron

I love my Iron, but the ride sucks compared to my sports bike (never thought I'd say that). I've been doing some research on different rear shocks or any suspension adjustments I can make, but I wanted to see what you all have on your bikes and thoughts. I need to do something soon, I was driving down the highway, hit a bump and literally popped out of my seat. I'd be up for anything that doesn't raise the high of the bike (5'3" here). Thanks all!
Old 29th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

How much do you weigh? What kind of riding do you do? How much money do you want to spend?

Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" in the Suspension Sticky Section Index. Options range from cheap to expensive. Be sure to read about Ricor Intiminators for the forks. Ricor IAS shocks are expensive, but are top of the line.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 29th May 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883H Led Sled Hardtail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
HellHammer132 is a name known to allHellHammer132 is a name known to allHellHammer132 is a name known to allHellHammer132 is a name known to allHellHammer132 is a name known to allHellHammer132 is a name known to allHellHammer132 is a name known to allHellHammer132 is a name known to allHellHammer132 is a name known to allHellHammer132 is a name known to allHellHammer132 is a name known to all

Progressive 412's are good, not the best but a marked improvement for sure. Available in different lengths too
Old 29th May 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Evil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of light

Man up, hold on.
Old 29th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Man up, hold on.
I would highly suggest not to listen to anybody whose best suspension recommendation is to hold on. But when all else fails, it is good advice.
Know Thy Hog

Old 31st May 2012
Biker

I'm 160 and mostly hide country roads but sometimes highway. Occasionally I ride with a passenger. Holding on is what I've been doing, not fun. Anyone usin anything beside progressive shocks?
Old 31st May 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

The height will limit you more than anything - most decent shocks are going to be at least 11 3/4"... Do you have an idea on what you would like to spend?
Old 31st May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883->1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
IronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum!

I have Road King air shocks.
Read the 7 pages as suggested.
Seriously, this topic has been covered once a week.
I too came off a sport bike to a 2010 (lumber wagon) Iron 883.
The RK shocks have a way better ride!
If you go up an inch, you gain some travel and comfort at the same time. I was bottoming out with the stock shocks and I only weigh 190-ish with gear on. I'm not busting on you, but are you all torso or legs for your height? My wife is 5'3" and is all torso, I will have her sit on mine and see where here feet are.
Progressive 412s are over-priced stock units that offer little improvement in ride quality. I bought stock length Progressives and took them off for the RK air shocks. Maybe 1" longer ones would help but the RK shocks are cheap and the the rubber shock condoms match the front.
Old 31st May 2012
Biker

What size are the stock shocks? I don't want the bike to be any taller. If I can keep it under $500 I will be happy but I really just want the best ride. I'm kinda a do it once do it right kinda person.
Old 31st May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883->1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
IronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of light

RK shocks can be purchased for $40-80 on ebay all the time.
Stock Iron shocks are 11"
I bought a set of 13" shocks and scored a 1" lowering kit for $20. I have $60 into my whole RK shock set-up.
The increase in suspension travel helped out too.

Another benefit is when I ride 2-up with my son, I just add a little air and I'm still riding comfortably.
Know Thy Hog