The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Gennyred (64), Spatialanomaly (60), ColinB (54), HD1000XL (49), tub531
DK Customs
RYCA Motors
Get Lowered
Sky Smith Insurance

Biltwell
Tags
comfort, shocks, suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Other Motorcycle Model: '04 Honda 599, '66 C200
breyerpest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDan-O View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I have Road King air shocks.
Read the 7 pages as suggested.
Seriously, this topic has been covered once a week.
I too came off a sport bike to a 2010 (lumber wagon) Iron 883.
The RK shocks have a way better ride!
If you go up an inch, you gain some travel and comfort at the same time. I was bottoming out with the stock shocks and I only weigh 190-ish with gear on. I'm not busting on you, but are you all torso or legs for your height? My wife is 5'3" and is all torso, I will have her sit on mine and see where here feet are.
Progressive 412s are over-priced stock units that offer little improvement in ride quality. I bought stock length Progressives and took them off for the RK air shocks. Maybe 1" longer ones would help but the RK shocks are cheap and the the rubber shock condoms match the front.
Thanks. I flipped through some of the pages but didn't really see anything on shocks. I'll look again. Also in your pic I see a gps mount, which mount is that?
Old 31st May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883->1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
IronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of light

It's a PowerVision Tuner for my 1200 SE kit.
I will remove it once I get it tuned.
Edit: The mount is an ebay find.

I'm down for the week. had my tonsils removed (at 42 years old) on Tuesday and am down for a while.
For some reason, I'm not supposed to ride while doped up on pain meds.
Old 2nd June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

RK air shocks get pretty stiff for a rider weighing only 160 lbs, even at 0 air pressure and switched to 5w oil.

As far as I know, Progressive and the other major suspension companies do not make a shock with a spring light enough for a 160 lb rider. The 1200S shocks were perfect on rubber mount bikes for 160 lbs, but they are really hard to find now.

That leaves shocks from Ohlins or Ricor, custom sprung and valved. If $500 is the budget, I'd highly suggest going with Ricor Intiminators for the forks to start with. You may be able to reduce shock preload enough to make it workable until you save your money for Ricor IAS shocks.

Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" for details. If I remember correctly, the 1200S shocks had 85/55 lbs/in spring rates, which is what a 160 lb rider needs on a rubber mount.

If you want to do serious 2 up, you may have to go one spring rate heavier and change preload from solo to two up.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 2nd June 2012
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

I take it the dealer failed to mention the term Iron was in reference to your butt, not the name of the bike.
Old 2nd June 2012

XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Oh come on, As Seen on TV, it's really not worth crying in you hands.
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd June 2012
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

Just the thought of having to read 7 pages is saddening. Can you put that in paperback?
Old 2nd June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883->1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
IronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of lightIronDan-O is a glorious beacon of light

We need the condensed "Sportster Suspensions for Dummies" version.

It's still good reading though, very informative!
Old 2nd June 2012

Quote:
Just the thought of having to read 7 pages is saddening. Can you put that in paperback?

Quote:
We need the condensed "Sportster Suspensions for Dummies" version.

It's still good reading though, very informative!

I have been thinking about writing a condensed, pictorial, step by step version. Maybe I can get started on it this week end.