The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jenks60 (59), Hammer of God (53), billas 100th (50), sam19 (49), ivory hunter (46), cumnz (45), TJ Willy (41), SINdicated (35), XRavenX (32)
Foxcreek Leather
NRHS Performance Long 2
Licks Holiday
BIKE BUILDER

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to all
Default we are fortunate.

my dad asked me to tune-up,set the timing,etc. on his 883 evo,sportster.so i,thought this is the xlforum,let'see what kind of technical sticky's they have for that subject.couldn't find any,yesterday. ironhead sticky's have a,big advantage here.it seem's you could rebuild all of your major component's,and many of your minor one's. much thank's to all the member's,who have contributed,and also,our designated moderator iron mick,for making all of this possible
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 5th June 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper looking thing
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph POS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold

+1 Gotta agree. I found this forum thinking I new a fair amount about Ironheads. After 10 minutes of poking around I realized THAT was a big mistake.

Thanks to all, expert to newB. It's the wanting to help that makes this thing go around.
Old 5th June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
jc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nicejc1753hughes is just really nice

I found this forum knowing nothing about ironheads. Total noob. Now I can bore all my buddies with early "girly" bike facts. Luv xlf! And Mick is owed a drink in every state, for sure.
Old 5th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Trac Dynamics / Razor,
tracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the roughtracbike is a jewel in the rough

thats because you have to be a mechanic to own Ironhead or shovel.... they lurk all the time, I think they would scratch there heads wondering why we do what we do. Besides the love or passion for the bike or riding, the deep down dark side is we love to tinker, build, and admire. just as much as ride it. sometimes more admiring. I have a evo sporty too. that I beat unmercifully....
Old 5th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1965
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 70
beardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of lightbeardo is a glorious beacon of light

There is a difference in me wrenching on my bikes, before internet, and after internet. I probably would have given up on them long ago, not because I didn't love them, but because I couldn't (and still cannot) afford to screw up everything I touch...
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th June 2012

brucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to all

that's not being very respectful to the evo,tracbike. [i,may be detecting anxieties,again.] LOL!
Old 5th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
sportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant futuresportsterdoc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo View Post
There is a difference in me wrenching on my bikes, before internet, and after internet...
Yep, especially since I did not always heed my father's advice of "leave well-enough alone, son"! ...I'll tighten this just bit more (bicep not yet calibrated by experience), just a wee bit more....oops, I didn't know that brass fitting for the oil line was that soft....

Post internet let's us learn how somebody else broke something and learned, sometimes school of hard knocks, how to fix it.
Old 6th June 2012

i'd like to thank everyone who took the time to share their thought's,and reply's to this thread.
Old 6th June 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp
gypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enoughgypsybiker45 will become famous soon enough

Misery loves company.......Seriously, the few that are still addicted to these John Deere Deluxe models, need to hang out,as there is so many things that can fail no one person can possibly know everything!
Old 6th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
DirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to behold

i love this place. it saved my ironhead. without this forum, id still be out in the garage guessing. its kinda like AA for my ironhead. ironhead in recovery from all the previous owners. without this place, i might have given up on my bike cause it was "just a POS" turns out, the work that had been done to it, and the work that i had done to it was the shotty part.

thanks to this place, its going back in the other direction now. PRICELESS!!!