The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Sky Smith Insurance
DK Customs
Foxcreek Leather

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
il67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to allil67bp is a name known to all
Default 200 rear tire with 18" or 19" rim?

Anybody running this and Have pics? I know there's going to be work involved but I'd like to see what it looks like on a sportster. Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
Old 8th June 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1969 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH 1000 75th Anniversary
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice

Its not going to happen with a stock swingarm. I run a 19'' rear with a 120 tire on it and i only have about a 1/4'' gap between the sides of the tires and the inside front of the swingarm. This is as close as I would go, since the tire will swell at speed.

The swingarm gets pretty skinny in the front where it bolts to the frame.

If you are going the custom swingarm route, I'm sure someone can make you one thats extra wide. I'm not sure that the standard 200 conversion swingarms would work for a 19'', they still taper down and are pretty skinny in the front where it joins the frame.

*EDIT* I'm speaking about the 1979-2003 style swingarms. I have no idea what the measurements of a rubber-mount swingarm are, but judging from pictures they get pretty narrow in the font too. Sorry, I replied to your thread before I saw that you have a rubber-mount.
Old 14th June 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Fe View Post
Its not going to happen with a stock swingarm. I run a 19'' rear with a 120 tire on it and i only have about a 1/4'' gap between the sides of the tires and the inside front of the swingarm. This is as close as I would go, since the tire will swell at speed.

The swingarm gets pretty skinny in the front where it bolts to the frame.

If you are going the custom swingarm route, I'm sure someone can make you one thats extra wide. I'm not sure that the standard 200 conversion swingarms would work for a 19'', they still taper down and are pretty skinny in the front where it joins the frame.

*EDIT* I'm speaking about the 1979-2003 style swingarms. I have no idea what the measurements of a rubber-mount swingarm are, but judging from pictures they get pretty narrow in the font too. Sorry, I replied to your thread before I saw that you have a rubber-mount.
What tire do you run on the 19" rear? How wide is the rim? I have a 19" rear with a 27.5" flat track tire on it and want to get a street tire that is around the same size.

Link to thread on "Harley Racing" events across the country: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=53470

These events include Hillclimbing, Flat Track Racing, Ice racing, Drag Racing, etc.. They are all sports dominated by Harley Davidsons. They are always located in scenic areas and are great weekend rides. The above link allows XLforum users to coordinate riding to these events together.
Old 19th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

Huge rear tires are for looks on these bikes. The cause the bike to handle poorly and it takes so much hp to turn them you can measure the loss on a dyno.
Old 19th June 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1969 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH 1000 75th Anniversary
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice

I laced my rear wheel myself. Its a stock Sportster rear hub with a stock sportster 19'' front rim laced to it. My tire is about 25'' tall anda bout 110mm wide.

Its is the Avon speedmaster 19'' Rear. It looks sweet but isnt very sticky...
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th June 2012
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

This has nothing to do with Buell photos; moving to (Sportster) 'Tires, Wheels, and Brakes'.
'The green machine'

Last edited by Folkie; 20th June 2012 at 21:48..
Old 24th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Big Rob is just really niceBig Rob is just really niceBig Rob is just really niceBig Rob is just really niceBig Rob is just really niceBig Rob is just really niceBig Rob is just really niceBig Rob is just really niceBig Rob is just really niceBig Rob is just really niceBig Rob is just really nice

saw a vidio on youtube of a guy with an iron that put a 200 on using a different rim went to chain for clearance and wider fender he had a how to on there,from what i gather the rubbermount swingarms are already wider than on my 97 but im not sure dont take it as stone !!!!