The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Motor Stage
CV Performance
Figure Machine
Lowbrow Customs

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Bizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of light
Default 2011 Nightster on a budget

Well it seems the bike i wasn't going to change is now the bike i am going to change all thanks to you guys!!
But on a budget due to my wife finding out she is pregnant!

So i have a list of things i'd like to do, oh and it's a UK 2001 Nightster if the title didn't give it away!!

In no particular or coherent order......

For now....

i have just flipped the mirrors 48 style
I have made a side plate holder with small LED light as the UK plate is mounted to the rear fender, i had to drop the shock pretension to min to help the large gap between fender and tire.
I have made a pair of 2" Tank lifts and i am going to make a coil/ignition bracket from some flat steel bar i made the lifts out of.
So tomorrow i do the wire tuck and coil/ignition move.
My friend is making me some Green HT leads.
I am taking the speedo housing and handlebar mount? plate from the wife's '09 883 and swapping it with mine so i can mount her speedo housing to my eyebrow to see what its like lower down (thoughts on this?)
Drill baffles either inside edge or right at the end (not sure which will be best)

Whats going to have to wait and is going to cost...

Replace the standard shocks for Burley slammers in black.
Drag Bars with bar end mirrors, i love the Ducati style fold in ones
http://www.jokermachine.com/itemstre...&Placeholder=0
V&H big radius pipes in black plus the old fuel tuning thing
Relocate speedo to the side
Sprung seat and a longer fender
Whitewalls possibly
Small paint job on cans (friend paints and has done an awesome job on his 48)
Bigger headlight

Still looking at more ideas and yours are welcome

Cheers
Paul
Old 9th June 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzkit View Post
First off congratulations on the pregnancy. Secondly I too flipped my mirrors and then purchased the top closed nuts that go on the stock 48 for a clean look. They were 5 bucks a piece at Harley. That way you don't have a hideous steel bolt sticking up out of an open nut on top of your lever perch.
Old 9th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You mean "XLF Style". We did it on the sportys before HD did!

As far as other ideas.....best one would be to spend some time in the threads under the 07'+ section and look at the "Lets see your Nightster" or "Lets see your Iron" threads. Lots of good bikes / info / ideas in there.

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 9th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Bizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of lightBizzkit is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
You mean "XLF Style". We did it on the sportys before HD did!

I'm still learning my last bike was a 2008 Yamaha R1 so you'll have to forgive me btw I love this more especially the ride!!

And cheers for the advice as you know i have been stealing ideas from your thread .... especially the FENDER
Old 9th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Know Thy Hog

Old 10th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorend View Post
First off congratulations on the pregnancy. Secondly I too flipped my mirrors and then purchased the top closed nuts that go on the stock 48 for a clean look. They were 5 bucks a piece at Harley. That way you don't have a hideous steel bolt sticking up out of an open nut on top of your lever perch.
Thanks for the congrats on pregnancy and the advice on the nuts (if only i had sorted my nuts earlier )
Old 10th June 2012
Greasemonkey

2" lift , left one piece of the plastic in place to hide the main trunk of wires and now needs a damn good clean
Just bracket to fit for coil, had to repaint it after making some adjustments to allow rubber washers to be fitting for damping.

Old 10th June 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
polaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the roughpolaris0352 is a jewel in the rough

Nicely done. And don't listen too closely to Cosmo, he's a bit of a bad influence. I blame him for my bike being down for 4 months the winter of 2010/11 as I ran all my wires inside the frame. He'll put all kinds of crazy ideas in your head. (I mean that in the best way possible Cosmo)
Old 10th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When did HD start replacing the fork lock with "The Club"????

Quote:
Looking good Bizz. Dont be afraid to play with those throttle cables to clean up that area even more. If you have enough slack....run them under the gas tank along the backbone with your wires and have them drop down just above....helps clean it up a little more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris0352 View Post
And don't listen too closely to Cosmo
Best advice I've heard yet on the XLF!
Old 10th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Quote:
When did HD start replacing the fork lock with "The Club"????
Anything to hand gets used!

Quote:
Looking good Bizz. Dont be afraid to play with those throttle cables to clean up that area even more. If you have enough slack....run them under the gas tank along the backbone with your wires and have them drop down just above....helps clean it up a little more:
Thanks that means a lot! i was a tad nervous it wasn't going to look tidy! Still a few bits to do yet but majority hidden. With regards to throttle cables i did wonder about them wasn't sure if i had to leave them slack but once i get the coil set in place its now going to have to be moved.

Quote:
Best advice I've heard yet on the XLF!
Well its just too late now isn't it! More warning next time!
Know Thy Hog