The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Motor Stage
Licks Cycles
Licks Cycles
Fix My Hog

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
NH-JK has a spectacular aura aboutNH-JK has a spectacular aura aboutNH-JK has a spectacular aura aboutNH-JK has a spectacular aura aboutNH-JK has a spectacular aura aboutNH-JK has a spectacular aura aboutNH-JK has a spectacular aura aboutNH-JK has a spectacular aura aboutNH-JK has a spectacular aura about
Default New Guy Here...W/ a question!!! (cable extentions with 14 inch mini apes)

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 1999 Sportster 883 for $1000. from a friend. I just bought a set of black Burley 14 inch mini apes.

I have been told that some people need to get the cable extentions and others have found enough slack to run the bars with out the extentions....

Can anyone confirm or deny!!!! thanks for all the help. Cant wait to start modding.
Old 9th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: 1988 Harley Electraglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 1988
ptotoole is an unknown quantity at this point

More than likely longer cables will be required, but, just my thoughts.
I have changed handle bars from original sportster bars to pull backs, and was able to use the original cables, but cables had to be carefully rerouted.
Old 9th June 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
td67mustang has a spectacular aura abouttd67mustang has a spectacular aura abouttd67mustang has a spectacular aura abouttd67mustang has a spectacular aura abouttd67mustang has a spectacular aura abouttd67mustang has a spectacular aura abouttd67mustang has a spectacular aura abouttd67mustang has a spectacular aura abouttd67mustang has a spectacular aura about

I just did 12's, I had to do a new brake cable but all other we ok. Throttle would be tough to go father, clutch is questionable...
Old 12th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 95th anniversary
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
deathtrapsporty is on a distinguished roaddeathtrapsporty is on a distinguished roaddeathtrapsporty is on a distinguished roaddeathtrapsporty is on a distinguished roaddeathtrapsporty is on a distinguished road

probably gonna need new cables brother. while you're at it, i suggest cleaning up the bars, ie getting all the wiring and switches off and moved elsewhere. looks cleaner and it makes changing bars later much simpler and faster
Old 12th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Most mini apes are 11 or 12 inches. Your probably going to need longer cables with the 14" apes. No one really knows until they get to that point in their work. But I think 14 inches is probably too much. It almost certainly will be for the front brake line.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
iron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to beholdiron9813 is a splendid one to behold

I put 12" mini apes on my Iron a coupla months ago. I was able to use the existing clutch cable and throttle cables, but had to get a new brake line and wiring extensions for the switches. I drilled the bars and ran the switches internally, and I am very happy with the results.

Last edited by iron9813; 12th June 2012 at 21:41.. Reason: typed something wrong
Old 12th June 2012
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Lo 1200 conv.
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Big_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really niceBig_Baazzoo is just really nice

Well, they will either be long enogh or not, but if they are not, there are no "extensions". You just get new ones. J&P cycles will have whatever you need. Might I suggest you go ahead and get braided brake lines anyways while you are at it?
Old 12th June 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

I put the Burly 14 inch narrow apes on mine and bought the wire kit that Burly offers. Well worth it. The stock cables would not have reached.
Old 13th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Wilks132 is on a distinguished roadWilks132 is on a distinguished road

Check out my other post (a few down from here) the burly cable kit is good and a great easy way to do it. Just make sure you get the kit for the 12 inch apes if youre going with 14's. their cables are long as hell for some reason. I have 12 inch R6C bars and got the 12 inch kit cuz they dont make a shorter kit. heres a pic.. the cables are crazy long!!

Old 13th June 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

OK. I got the 14 inch apes with the 14 inch cables and it looks fine. I can see why you feel that way. It looks like you got 16 inch cables with 12 inch apes. Or its the same length for the 12 and 14 who knows. But they definitely fit neat on mine.
Know Thy Hog