The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Bison Motorsports
Superbrace.com
CV Performance
Bison Motorsports

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
Txn is on a distinguished roadTxn is on a distinguished road
Default Road king shocks

So I went out and bought a pair of rk shocks today, put them on my nightster and hated the look. I found a website called bitchinbaggers.com that will tear them down and shorten them to whatever length you want for $175. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined and my dad is and has been a machinist for 20+ yrs and can machine anything into what I want or need. So with all that said what is different or what is changed to give the shock a shorter length
Old 9th June 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200n
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: rmz450,z50r,xr50,klx110
mxr33 is just really nicemxr33 is just really nicemxr33 is just really nicemxr33 is just really nicemxr33 is just really nicemxr33 is just really nicemxr33 is just really nicemxr33 is just really nicemxr33 is just really nicemxr33 is just really nicemxr33 is just really nice

what lentgh did you get? you can run them with lowering blocks to get the hieght back where you want them. there was a how to shorten 13 to 12 that may apply but not sure. if i find it ill post a link.
Old 9th June 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxr33 View Post
what lentgh did you get? you can run them with lowering blocks to get the hieght back where you want them. there was a how to shorten 13 to 12 that may apply but not sure. if i find it ill post a link.
Ther are 13 inchers. And I'm weary about the angle a lowering block would put on those shocks
Old 9th June 2012
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

So which part number/length did you buy. Have you seen this thread with the various part numbers/lengths?

I've been under the impression there's been a couple of members that have shortened them. My understanding is that they just shorten the rod and rethread it. Look at this thread about how to disassemble the shock (and specifically rejeanprimeau's posts).

Old 9th June 2012
Biker

I got the 54565-09 13 inchers. And idea that write up on how to disassemble them I plan on using that to take them apart just trying to figure out which part to shorten once I get them apart
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th June 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant future

The damper rods has to be cut to limit the lenght. They use an 11 mm. 1.25 thread. You have the 09 shock, the top has to be rotate 90 degrees for dissambly.
Old 9th June 2012
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
The damper rods has to be cut to limit the lenght. They use an 11 mm. 1.25 thread. You have the 09 shock, the top has to be rotate 90 degrees for dissambly.
So cutting the damper rod down by two inches should give me 11 in eye to eye correct? And is the dissasembly different than in the thread Dan referenced earlier?
Old 9th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

You need to be careful that the shocks bottom out before anything else hits. Nightsters have a reflector that hits the belt guard. Other bikes hit ECU, or wires under the fender.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 9th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250 Hammer Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Gcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond reputeGcram399 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
You need to be careful that the shocks bottom out before anything else hits. Nightsters have a reflector that hits the belt guard. Other bikes hit ECU, or wires under the fender.
Those are genuine HD shocks.

+ 1 on what both these gentlemen said. Also, if when you have the shock apart take the time to take pics of the shortening process. That would be a nice addition to the RK threads that others have on here.

One other note. Shortening the shock will make them stiffer.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading . "
--Thomas Jefferson

Hammer Performance 1250 kit w/ 30* Reverse Dome Pistons, Smash Level 883 Heads w/ 1.770 Intake/ 1.615 Exhaust & PAC Alloy Beehive Spring Pack, Impact 560 Lift Cams, Hammer Billet Aluminum Intake Manifold, Air Hammer Naked Billet Air Cleaner w/ 3" K&N Element, Mikuni HSR 42, Dynatek 2000P Ignition, Energy One Clutch w/ 15% Diaphram, Muller Power Clutch, Basanni Road Rage 2-1 Exhaust w/ 4" Performance Machine Billet Tip. Drag Specialties 8-Bolt Encapsulated Rotor, Cycle Electric Regulator and Stator.
Old 9th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Quote:
One other note. Shortening the shock will make them stiffer.
I am not sure what guys do to shorten RK air shocks. Cutting and shortening the springs does increase the spring rate and that should make it feel stiffer. But I am not sure if there is another way to shorten the RK air shocks.
Know Thy Hog