The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
Mr.P (50), G-man1965, Dietoride (45), mct496 (43), JuggaloCujo (31)
S&S Cycle
BIKE BUILDER
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2012
Jester Syndicate

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Madnss is correct, if you read through my build thread, my stated goal at the beginning was not a max HP build. It was built primarily with streetability and dependability in mind. For me the combo I've put together works well.
Old 13th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
bad48 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, ill have to look at that at some point. cause thats kinda what im wanting to go for as well, but maybe with some extra cajun seasoning...
Old 13th June 2012
Amateur Hour

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico 05R View Post
Madnss is correct, if you read through my build thread, my stated goal at the beginning was not a max HP build. It was built primarily with streetability and dependability in mind. For me the combo I've put together works well.
Rite on rico.....To the original poster.....Your trying to pick a cam out of a million choices for a stock bike, then a ported bike.

Tough to do, unless your trying to reinvent the wheel, go with what works and is proven. The cams you mentioned are great cams. I just think the majority of the population in the sportster world has had good luck with stock bikes and ported bikes using cams such as the 497, n4, 536, n6 to a name a few that came to mine.

If you want to go bigger. the cams you named are great, but the world proof of them is not there as much. Bigger cams that have proven themselves. 585, 567, redshifts, chicken 536, 575, To name a few.

Ive always stuck with what works and is proven. im not a wheel inventor, thats up to you to decide, But the above cams, work with the proper head work. good luck buddy and welcome to the forum
Old 13th June 2012
Amateur Hour

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad48 View Post
ok, ill have to look at that at some point. cause thats kinda what im wanting to go for as well, but maybe with some extra cajun seasoning...
you want some cajun seasoning.....check out grinds build on this forum. he is also on hammer perfs website,

My engine is also on hammers website and this forum.

Thats a little bit more spicy of a build then n4's if thats your cup of tea.
Old 13th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
bad48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks alot for the info and advice guys, i really appreciate it. now to just take it an make it work. an i gotta say for this bein only my first week on here, i love it! Hard to believe ive have my bike almost two years, and only now got on this. Thanks again!
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th June 2012
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

bad48, a good head porter can look at your flow data and do some calculations that point him to the best grind for your particular heads and horsepower target. If you're going to have Zipper's port your heads, I highly suggest that you talk to Zipper's and get their recommendation, as the rest of us can only guess (unless you want to publish your flow data, in which case I'll run the numbers).