The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Licks Cycles
Motor Stage
Licks Cycles
Biltwell

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 78 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 78
ss243b is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, learning alot through this process, my battery reads good but it obviously isnt considering i gotta jumper from the truck to the bike and keep the truck running, whats the cheapest route on a battery? Does walmart have one that will suffice?
Old 22nd June 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss243b View Post
Ok guys, got the bike running and it ran good, one problem is it wont idle on its own, and figured out my battery is trash and my fuel filter is leaking gas, gonna take care of the fuel filter in a bit and the battery tommorow, does wally world have a battery that will work on my electric start only bike? and could either of these problems be causing my idle problem?
Neither case will be related to the idle problem.

If the bike idles fast and you cannot get to slow down, that is an air leak at the O rings of the manifold.

If the idle condition is different than that (you only said 'it won't idle on it's own) we need to know what it is doing. (A better explanation, please)
pg
Old 23rd June 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
... my battery reads good but it obviously isnt considering i gotta jumper from the truck to the bike and keep the truck running ...
You are not supposed to keep the big vehicle running while jump starting a motorcycle. I do not know why. I have just heard this many times over the years. Anyone who wishes to contribute here, well, please do so.
Old 23rd June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 78 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 78
ss243b is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats the only way i can get it to turn over, and it idles now, battery was the reason it wasnt idling, weird?
Old 23rd June 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
piniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to allpiniongear is a name known to all

Quote:
Thats the only way i can get it to turn over, and it idles now, battery was the reason it wasnt idling, weird?
The battery condition has Nothing to do with the idling issue.
I sure wish you would share with us what you did to get the engine started.

One moment you are at the end of your rope and the next you have gotten it started..... So, what did you do to accomplish that?
We are here to help and here to learn ourselves.
pg
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd June 2012
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 84
Asshat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
You are not supposed to keep the big vehicle running while jump starting a motorcycle. I do not know why. I have just heard this many times over the years. Anyone who wishes to contribute here, well, please do so.
cause it will fry the electrics, seen it twice, running cage batteries will fry bike electrics on a jump, harness and all ( not EVERY time but almost), too much juice,